HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best "rod action" for casting...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best "rod action" for casting...

I love to fish two rods simultaneously for crappie......bobber and live minnow on one while I cast and retrieve 1/32 small jigs on the other. What rod action would be better for casting tiny jigs the farthest....Fast or Moderate? If what I'm researching is correct the Moderate action would be better because it bends further down the blank/rod allowing it to "load up" to release that energy into the jig.....but nothing compares to field test, so whats your guys thoughts on the matter over the years of using different action rods? Thanks as always guys!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This has been a topic of many conversations, and probably an argument or two. My preference is between 6 and 7 feet and enough backbone to handle a bigger or surprise fish and a tip soft enough to load when pitching the jig. I think that you must hold it in your hand to decide because there are no standards among rodmakers. A fast action will probably be what you're after but they vary. Be patient in your search for there are some VERY good rods out there and you don't have to spend big bucks for them. I have a Wally Marshall signature Black Tuxedo rod in 6' that is real nice and casts the 1/64 I use very well. With 4lb mono and a 1/32 it would be sweet and a dock shooting fool. A medium action rod can be tip heavy, as in a lot of the Ugly Sticks I have handled, and will tire your forearm if you spend the day casting. That said, I have an out of production Lightning Rod in 6'6" and 2 piece. It has a soft tip and will send a 1/16 jig into the next county and a 1/32 in fine style. A 2000 series reel has less line memory and works perfect for this combo. Another rod that has my interest is the St Croix Premier 66lf in one piece. Very nice action and light weight and a pleasure to handle with a President 6925 strapped on.

Lots of choices, but the most important thing is to handle before you buy. Once you handle several rods that state the same action and feel how different they are, you will understand. Keep us posted and you may help shorten someone else's search.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Crestliner08, Roy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The short answer is there are about a thousand rods on the market that will easily cast a 1/32 oz jig.

Longer answer: a more moderate rod will load easier but the two most "moderate" rods I ever owned I ended up selling. Why? Because casting is not fishing. Casting is just a part of fishing. Both rods cast light jigs well, but they were too soft for playing fish, IMO. For casting and playing a fish, I prefer a faster action rod. YMMV, as 99% of tackle purchases come down to personal preference.
    Thanks Eagle 1 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEYESfromOHIO View Post
    What rod action would be better for casting tiny jigs the farthest....
    Remember that it's not just rod action that determines casting distance. Reel spool size and line diameter also play big parts.
    Thanks Eagle 1 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What's been said is excellent advice. Look at some rod manufacturers that specialize in crappie fishing. Most are great rods at ~$50.00. I do a lot of casting as well side pulling and drifting for crappie. My personal casting preference is for the B n' M Sam Heaton Super Sensitive in the 7' length. And as has been said, it's not just the rod. The reel, line type, and diameter (pound test) have a great deal to do with it as well.

I use a Pflueger President #6920 UL reel on this rod. It is filled with 2# test Fireline Crystal with a 4# test fluorocarbon leader. I can cast this rig a country mile - well, almost anyway! And this set up has enough backbone and smoothness of drag, to handle anything that comes your way.

Again, as has been said, a LOT of this kind of selection is personal feel and confidence. There are few short cuts to using a rig on the water yourself. Catalogs can't be a substitute I'm afraid. Good Luck!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's the "best" rod action, but my preference after using many different actions is the "fast" or "very fast" action tip rods. Not only because they cast lite baits very well, but because they set the hook faster/harder than moderate action rods & I don't have to raise the whole rod/reel & my arms above my head when setting the hook.

My current casting rod of choice is a ESP Power Lite 6'6" very fast action spinning rod.
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Love the new ACCCrappiestix 7’6” casting rod. Great action and unbelievable backbone!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I usually have four or five rods laid out on the deck even when just casting. Different lengths,different actions. Each I use a little different.

I have something different tied on each of them. Like in spring I will have one rigged with a bobber, one with a roadrunner head,one with a regular head,different jig bodies or other baits.

I sometimes hit fish with one and then the other.

I will say that though I use all types...fast and fairly stiff rods too soft slow rods. I do lose less fish on the softer medium action rods then I do on the stiffer ones.

I like my St.Croix's ....My son had a 7ft Sam Heaton super sensitive the other day and I liked it.

I have a G loomis 6'6" that is fast and pretty stiff. I use 20# braid on it and it cast really well. It has a different feel to it...it loads and recoils funny when you cast...but it does throw good. But if I'm honest with myself I do have more fish shake off on it. Partly because of the braid.

Bass fishermen learned a long time ago that Bass threw crankbaits easier with too fast and stiff of rod.

Although it's not exactly the same as jigs....I can tell you some of the same physics apply. Stretch in the line and a limber pole does help to keep them from working a hook out.

I hooked a channel cat in the tail with a jig the other day that weighed 16 lbs. I landed it with a St.Croix 6'6" light action rod. Took a while though...man it was fun.

I know I prefer the traditional style handle for sure now though. I want to be close to the blank...I don't like a lot of cork between me and the rod...and I get less hand fatigue . Use all kinds of rods though...so I am constantly comparing. I enjoy each them at different times.