Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaver Lake Walleye

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beaver Lake Walleye

The Game and Fish just started stocking Walleye in Beaver Lake Arkansas in 2002. I have caught several up to 10" and one even up to 16"! They must be 18" to keep.
    Does anyone know the growth rate on these fish? They released them as fingerlings. They have also kept stocking them each year.
    I don't know how they will do since we have Stripers, Hybrids, White Bass, all three members of the Black Bass family as well as Crappie, Catfish, and Gar all going after the same bait for the most part! I heard they are good eating also, I'd like to try one!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Hear is some information based upon Missouri Dept. of Conservation electroshocking surveys at Bull Shoals for walleye. They have been stocking the lake with walleye for several years and many have unique ID tags implanted in them, so they can be identified during the next shocking survey.

In Bull Shoals they have found that males begin showing up in their survey at spawning maturity after 3 years at 18 inches long, and females show up after 4 years at 22 inches.

Hope this helps. Good luck on Beaver.
    Missouri-Fishing.com! Total Fishing Resource for Missouri Anglers!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink walleye on beaver

J.T. Saturday morning i caught my first keeper walleye out of Beaver, HooRay after all the 15" fish i've caught thinking i was on crappie. I've caught 15 or so 15" & numerous 6 to 12". I think the walleye will do well, from 412 bridge to Blackburn Creek anyway. I hope they are spawning well here anyway. I don't know enough about them, i'll have to do some research. Believe it or not catching only one i still released the 18" daddy. Hopefully good Karma for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Did they stock walleye or saugeyes? The reason I ask is that the growth rates are not the same. Walleyes grow faster. From what little I know about beaver, there should be some hogs in the near future.
    This time of year the larger crappie inhabit the same waters as the walleyes. We catch alot of them while trolling for walleyes, in the same places.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oksrt55
    Did they stock walleye or saugeyes? The reason I ask is that the growth rates are not the same. Walleyes grow faster. From what little I know about beaver, there should be some hogs in the near future.
    This time of year the larger crappie inhabit the same waters as the walleyes. We catch alot of them while trolling for walleyes, in the same places.
    The g&f started stocking walleye in 2001 and have done it since. Walleye are native to the White River here in NW Arkansas, they just wanted to re-introduce them!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

I used to troll for Walleye when I lived in Kansas. Hot-n-Tot crankbait was the hottest lure for trolling at the time. I have a friend that when tightlining, uses a 3/8oz jig with a nightcrawler strung onto it. It is a very effective bait. Here in NE Ok at lake Oologah, there are walleye, but have yet to catch any. I started fishing for Walleye because of people telling me they taste better than Crappie. Had to see for myself. My taste buds still prefer Crappie, but Walleye are one of the funnest fish to catch out of all. Keep the needle nose handy.
    Reaper
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Walleye are great eating! Don't ruin them by putting them in the fryer. Just kidding, it doesn't ruin them. My favorite way is to leave the skin on one half of the fillet and lightly rubbing olive oil into a good seasoned cast iron skillet. Sprinkle a little tones garlic pepper on top of the fillet, then lay the fish skinside down on low heat until the color changes slightly on the thickest part of the fillet ( times differ according to fish size) and then your ready to eat. This is garnished great with some asparagus sauteed in a little white wine and garlic. Anyhow, just my two cents.

Rattler

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of my clients recently have caught two 20" walleyes. Those are the biggest I've seen yet. The spring should start yielding many keeper walleye!
    They have nice fillets on them, I've yet to catch a keeper myself to eat. I'd love to try one!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

What are you trying to catch them with JT? I would suggest fishing with a 1/4 oz - 3/8 oz jig head, with night crawler threaded on it. If there is any deep standing timber, just tie off and try that awhile. You want to use some stout line as well. I used to catch them all the time while living in Kansas. I do not think they come close to crappie as far as taste goes, but others swear by them. I don't know the growth rate, but, do know, they love HotnTot crank baits during the spring and early summer. They are alot of fun to troll for. Watch out for those teeth!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I Catch them while crappie fishing either with a minnow or a jig. I only use 6 lb line so the fight is on when one is hooked! I have caught quite a few on a hotntot all ready!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast