Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking for Advice from experienced crankbait pushers

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for Advice from experienced crankbait pushers

Ok I want to get into pushing cranks (I think) so I have some 2 oz bell sinkers that I purchased for power trolling 15- 20’ + waters and still have lots to learn their ! ,question is can I use the 2 oz bell sinkers for pushing cranks or do I need the 3-4 oz trolling weights that I hear yaw talk of .if so who’s a good supplier of those and what about the fast snaps for the weights educate me on those and how do you figure out what depth your crank is running I know how to pull cranks and get depth I want but I want to use different sizes/styles pushing. I have line counter reels so I want have to guess on that! Just basically need to know how you figure ur depth and speed . We don’t have a thermo Cline in our lake and we do have tons of millfoil/ eel crass pulling anything can be very stressful at times with all the grass that’s everywhere here I was just thinking that if I pushed cranks I would be able to control things better! And tips or tricks will be appreciated! Thanks in advance! Mitch
    Too blessed to be stressed!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 3 oz trolling weights. Scottv sells them. I believe I have the name right, if not G will help me out. He also provides a trolling chart. The chart also has been posted several time here. Just do a search on trolling charts. Good luck.

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks !! I have multiple copy’s of all the depth charts that I can find on c.c and unless I’m missing something they only show for the 1 oz or 45° Method or for pulling distance ! And they don’t help me understand why I would need 3-4 oz like Most guys use! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly the chart has a triangle on top of the graph. For me it takes a three oz weight to keep my crankbaits at a 45 deg angle at the speed I troll at. Good luck.
    Thanks Slabprowler thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crank Pushers around my area use 2oz weights for the most part. They Push at around 1.8mph on average, and use 300 series Bandits.

I've only done it a few times out of my boat, and I've used 1/2oz & 1.5oz barrel sinkers on the main line ... then a bead with a large diameter hole ... then a duo-lock snap. To that I run a 3-5ft leader to my crankbait, attached by another snap. I've run as slow as 0.6mph & as fast as 1mph, but I only have a 12v 42# thrust TM on my 16' ProCraft. I mostly Push jigs, or cast, so my setup works just fine for me.

I don't know how accurate it is, but when I Push jigs I try and keep the lines at a 45deg angle. I know that at that angle I can calculate the depth of my jig by multiplying the length of line out by 0.6 .... and if I have my lines out at a much lower angle, then I multiply by 0.3 (assuming my lines are running at 1/2 as steep an angle, due to lighter weights or faster speeds).

That would equate to something like : with 20ft of line out @ 45deg angle = bait is ~12ft deep (20x0.6=12) ...... and at the lesser angle = bait at ~6ft deep (20x0.3=6)
    Thanks Slabprowler thanked you for this post