Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TM upgrade questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default TM upgrade questions

Looking to upgrade, I have a 98 Tracker 16' with original 98 50 pound Minn Kota. I am looking at the Terrova and trying to decide 12V or 24V. I only have space for one battery but could remove the plastic tub and mount a board on the stringers in the bottom of boat if 24V is selected.

Also trying to decide if paying more for the link is worth it. I will need a new depth finder up front and posted about that a few weeks back. I am thinking get the trolling motor first then depth finder.

The 12V would be much easier to install, I am sure I could figure out a way to get two batteries mounted below on a board if needed.

Is link worth the extra money

I think I can get the 12V 55 lb thrust with Ipilot for $1,500

Thanks for all opinions and experience

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you think you will ever want to long line road runners or pull cranks go with the 24v. I ordered the 12v and I regret it at times. I have no opions on the link I do not own it and don't miss it but have never been in boat that has it.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I just got the 55#thrust 12 v and have it hooked to a 32 series bat and pull cranks for @ 6hrs at 1.4 - 2 mph with no problem. If you think you need more run time I would suggest 2 12v bat in parallel or a good cart bat to do get the same run time. My Terrova is on a 16 ft flat, as far as the link that's up to you if you want to follow counter lines. I use the buil tin GPS to mark locations and press the go to button and it takes me back to what ever lacations i chose. Hope this helps, I don't know how much more simple this made my style of fishing. I only played with the spot lock once and it kept me by a bouy with no problem. Check with Brian at Bbg Marine and mention you are a C.C member and you will get the best price and fast shipping.
    Likes jackie53, bwjones0175 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Tracker and had the same decision to make between 12 or 24 volt a couple years ago,I ended up going with a 24 volt and don't regret it at all.I also had to come up with where to put the extra battery and ended up making a simple battery box.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replies, were do you put your battery box

Post Thanks / Like

I think your answer is, how do you fish? If 12v will take care of the majority of fishing trips, and safely handle your size boat, then stick with 12. My neighbor picked 24v, I picked 12v, he has spent many more dollars, had to buy two new batteries (they need to match), I just continued to use my year old battery. He purchased a 2 bank charger, I used the one I already owned.
    link is nice if you are a Humminbird user, especially when pulling, pushing, any type of fishing with motion involved. We use his even when catfishing. I didn't buy Link, as I have Lowrance. If I stated over, I would have added Link, and in time, added HB.

Post Thanks / Like

We fish for crappie, walleye and catfish. We drift, troll and try to stay in one spot. My 50 lb seems to handle boat ok but have never experienced the new TM to understand the spot lock, heading lock and with link contour and go to a way point. I need to push myself to tear into the boat and figure out two batteries and I think it can be done. I do not want to spend over 2k for the TM, the boat is only worth 4k as it sits.

Post Thanks / Like

A 24 will run a whole lot longer on a charge than a 12 will. If you fish any flowing water and plan to use the spot lock, I'd definitely get the 24 volt.

You'll likely need to upgrade the wiring from the battery to the bow. I had a late 90's model Tracker before my current boat and IIRC it was wired with 10 gauge wire. That's marginal at best for the 12 volt.

Link or not to link, that's a question only you can decide. Depends on how you fish, what electronics you have, etc...

Spot lock is a wonderful thing. IMO, that is the single best feature every invented on a TM. I don't use it to fish one spot very often because it makes too much noise but it is incredibly handy when you break off and need to re-tie.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard anyone complain that their trolling motor was too big. I've heard more than a few say theirs was too small. Finding room for the second battery may be a challenge, but in the long run worth it.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

You can't get a trolling motor with to much power if you can make room for the battery get the 24 you won't regret it. JMHO
    Likes "G", wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast