PDA

View Full Version : TM upgrade questions

Potatoe
06-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Looking to upgrade, I have a 98 Tracker 16' with original 98 50 pound Minn Kota. I am looking at the Terrova and trying to decide 12V or 24V. I only have space for one battery but could remove the plastic tub and mount a board on the stringers in the bottom of boat if 24V is selected.

Also trying to decide if paying more for the link is worth it. I will need a new depth finder up front and posted about that a few weeks back. I am thinking get the trolling motor first then depth finder.

The 12V would be much easier to install, I am sure I could figure out a way to get two batteries mounted below on a board if needed.

Is link worth the extra money

I think I can get the 12V 55 lb thrust with Ipilot for $1,500

Thanks for all opinions and experience

catchNgrease
06-07-2018, 09:13 PM
If you think you will ever want to long line road runners or pull cranks go with the 24v. I ordered the 12v and I regret it at times. I have no opions on the link I do not own it and don't miss it but have never been in boat that has it.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Skippa Chippa
06-07-2018, 10:03 PM
I just got the 55#thrust 12 v and have it hooked to a 32 series bat and pull cranks for @ 6hrs at 1.4 - 2 mph with no problem. If you think you need more run time I would suggest 2 12v bat in parallel or a good cart bat to do get the same run time. My Terrova is on a 16 ft flat, as far as the link that's up to you if you want to follow counter lines. I use the buil tin GPS to mark locations and press the go to button and it takes me back to what ever lacations i chose. Hope this helps, I don't know how much more simple this made my style of fishing. I only played with the spot lock once and it kept me by a bouy with no problem. Check with Brian at Bbg Marine and mention you are a C.C member and you will get the best price and fast shipping.

ad1974
06-08-2018, 04:32 AM
I have a Tracker and had the same decision to make between 12 or 24 volt a couple years ago,I ended up going with a 24 volt and don't regret it at all.I also had to come up with where to put the extra battery and ended up making a simple battery box.

Potatoe
06-08-2018, 05:50 AM
Thanks for replies, were do you put your battery box

Lane47
06-08-2018, 08:36 AM
I think your answer is, how do you fish? If 12v will take care of the majority of fishing trips, and safely handle your size boat, then stick with 12. My neighbor picked 24v, I picked 12v, he has spent many more dollars, had to buy two new batteries (they need to match), I just continued to use my year old battery. He purchased a 2 bank charger, I used the one I already owned.
link is nice if you are a Humminbird user, especially when pulling, pushing, any type of fishing with motion involved. We use his even when catfishing. I didn't buy Link, as I have Lowrance. If I stated over, I would have added Link, and in time, added HB.

Potatoe
06-08-2018, 09:21 PM
We fish for crappie, walleye and catfish. We drift, troll and try to stay in one spot. My 50 lb seems to handle boat ok but have never experienced the new TM to understand the spot lock, heading lock and with link contour and go to a way point. I need to push myself to tear into the boat and figure out two batteries and I think it can be done. I do not want to spend over 2k for the TM, the boat is only worth 4k as it sits.

FurFlyin
06-08-2018, 09:35 PM
A 24 will run a whole lot longer on a charge than a 12 will. If you fish any flowing water and plan to use the spot lock, I'd definitely get the 24 volt.

You'll likely need to upgrade the wiring from the battery to the bow. I had a late 90's model Tracker before my current boat and IIRC it was wired with 10 gauge wire. That's marginal at best for the 12 volt.

Link or not to link, that's a question only you can decide. Depends on how you fish, what electronics you have, etc...

Spot lock is a wonderful thing. IMO, that is the single best feature every invented on a TM. I don't use it to fish one spot very often because it makes too much noise but it is incredibly handy when you break off and need to re-tie.

Clint
06-08-2018, 09:54 PM
I've never heard anyone complain that their trolling motor was too big. I've heard more than a few say theirs was too small. Finding room for the second battery may be a challenge, but in the long run worth it.

J.M.
06-09-2018, 11:09 AM
You can't get a trolling motor with to much power if you can make room for the battery get the 24 you won't regret it. JMHO

skunked again
06-10-2018, 08:44 AM
I have a 75# 24 volt 5 speed on a 17' tin. It pulls that boat upwards of 3.6 mph with a three blade prop, 3.2 mph with a two blade. Will do this all day long.
I actually contacted the manufacturer to find out how to slow it down, the reason for the two blade prop. If you go digital, you won't have this issue, you'll be able to slow it down to a crawl.
The downside is it's a 5 speed. If it's on 3 or higher, turned to the side, I'm going overboard if not paying attention. Even on speed "1", when it's calm, I have to plan where I want end up. One bump of the switch, I'm really moving. On the upside, wind isn't an issue!
As for spending half the cost of the boat on a tm, look at it this way, that less expensive boat allows you to do this. If you had a more expensive boat, would you be able to do it?
I downgraded my engine, both in years and hp, so I could get money to upgrade the electronics. Best thing I've done, no regrets. The electronics and trolling motor double the cost of my boat. If I had a more expensive boat, those "extras" wouldn't be on it.

FurFlyin
06-10-2018, 10:27 AM
I have a 75# 24 volt 5 speed on a 17' tin. It pulls that boat upwards of 3.6 mph with a three blade prop, 3.2 mph with a two blade. Will do this all day long.
I actually contacted the manufacturer to find out how to slow it down, the reason for the two blade prop. If you go digital, you won't have this issue, you'll be able to slow it down to a crawl.
The downside is it's a 5 speed. If it's on 3 or higher, turned to the side, I'm going overboard if not paying attention. Even on speed "1", when it's calm, I have to plan where I want end up. One bump of the switch, I'm really moving. On the upside, wind isn't an issue!
As for spending half the cost of the boat on a tm, look at it this way, that less expensive boat allows you to do this. If you had a more expensive boat, would you be able to do it?
I downgraded my engine, both in years and hp, so I could get money to upgrade the electronics. Best thing I've done, no regrets. The electronics and trolling motor double the cost of my boat. If I had a more expensive boat, those "extras" wouldn't be on it.

I couldn't have said it any better and you also perfectly describe my situation. I had an original budget of $5000 when I started looking for a boat last summer. When I bought the boat it was a "get by" until I could upgrade. I spent exactly half of my budget on the boat that I bought. I took the money that I saved and bought good electronics. I did some upgrades to the boat and trailer over the summer. This winter I finally found the exact boat that I wanted. It was in rough shape, but I knew I could refurb it and make it just like I wanted it. I completely refurbished my old boat and spent the money saved to buy an Ulterra. Now I have the boat I want, with the electronics that I want, with the TM that I want. I don't finance toys so I either have to save til I get enough fun money to buy toys or I have to work my way up by buying cheap and flipping them.

My 80lb Ulterra will pull my 18'6" Xpress 3.2 mph and I'm fairly certain that I could use it 2 full days on one charge. I have 2 group 31 deep cycle batteries. I've been pulling jigs all spring and I run the TM for hours at a time pulling the boat .8-1.2 mph. Earlier this spring I fished for white bass in fast water for 4 1/2 hours. My TM stayed on and ranged from 80% - 100% of power the whole time. My batteries were still at 70% when I finished

skunked again
06-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Furflyin - I think there are a lot of people in this situation. I've driven my wife crazy as many times as i've "modified this boat" !
Added / removed - compartments, lights, battery layout, fuel tank swapping, gauges etc. Like yourself, I think i finally have it where i want it.

Potatoe
06-10-2018, 02:21 PM
What if I went 12V and then if I did not have the run time I could add the battery later. We normally go out for 3 - 5 hours and then home. I am running a 12V today but it only runs when I touch the pedal.

I think a 55ft lb would handle my little rig, I have put my 50lb on the highest setting 5 and ran 1.8 mph

thanks for all the replies, I am still deciding.

2boatjoe
06-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Unless you are getting a helix 9 or bigger I would not worry about link. Link is great for many things but you have to have a good fishfinder to make use of it. As far as 12 or 24 I would say if you can run 3 mph with a 12 I would probably go that way and just carry a spare if you think u may need it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

2boatjoe
06-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Unless you are getting a helix 9 or bigger I would not worry about link. Link is great for many things but you have to have a good fishfinder to make use of it. As far as 12 or 24 I would say if you can run 3 mph with a 12 I would probably go that way and just carry a spare if you think u may need it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Potatoe
06-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Called Minn Kota today, found someone who had good knowledge. He said a 12V would handle my little rig no problem. My next question was link, I fish from the bow when spider rigging and would fish from center of boat when Walleye or Catfish. If I put the link unit up front I would be bouncing back and forth again to the bow for the link using contour or waypoints.

looking for more opinions on link, I plan to buy a new depth finder also. looking at Helix 7 or 9

skunked again
06-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Any rumors of Garmin coming out with something similar? Since there recent purchase?

ad1974
06-12-2018, 07:07 PM
I put my new battery box in the front where there was a space for a cooler,doesn't take up much room or get in the way.

Potatoe
06-17-2018, 02:51 PM
I bought the 12V spent a day installing, first trip was windy. After I got everything calibrated it worked well. I need to do some reading on the Ipilot and functions. But this was a major upgrade for my little rig. Thanks for all the replies

skunked again
06-17-2018, 03:10 PM
If you find you need more runtime, wire a second battery in parallel.

12 to 20
06-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Stay with 12v. I have 24v system,go on vacation with no electricity at dock. Had to buy generator to charge or carry 2 batteries

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Potatoe
06-20-2018, 07:38 PM
When I deploy the Terrova and set depth collar and then start motor up I hear a thud later like the motor or something fell into place. Has anyone experienced this, I am looking at the lifting device and trying to understand how it works as it looks to be spring loaded.

thanks for any info