Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 6/7/18 Brrrrr!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 6/7/18 Brrrrr!

Did I say it was cold? We launched around 7:30 this morning with a brisk breeze and air temps in the mid-50's! This is June....isn't it? Forecaster tried to convince us that it was going to get up to 77 degrees today. Good luck with that. When we pulled off at 1:30 pm it was barely 68. And the breeze picked up from about 5 mph at the start to over 15 mph by the time we had said we've had enough.

This is what the day looked like for us today:

Name:  Gloomy Day.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  53.3 KB

Gloomy.....cold......breezy. Not ideal crappie fishing weather. And the crappie agreed with us wholeheartedly! We ended up the day with only 37 fish! 27 were crappie, 9 were bluegill. Here was a bonus fish which we've never caught here before:

Name:  Brook Trout.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  124.2 KB

Yep....that's a brook trout alright! Not a normal occurrence on this particular body of water. Must have been washed downstream from one the feeder streams up north. A good size brookie at that.

We tried depths from 11' to 23' fow in various wind drifts and side pulling (TM) efforts. Off & on we'd find a small bit of bait with a fish or two on it:

Name:  23 Feet.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  49.6 KB

But nothing like the large bait balls and schools of fish from past seasons. I suspect the cold temps and rain have contributed with them not schooling up thus far. We'll just have to see how it goes over the next several weeks.

As far as target species goes, here are a few of what Walt & I consider picture worthy:

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  170.3 KB

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  172.8 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  151.1 KB

No giants, but some respectable fish regardless. Most taken on the venerable 1/16 oz. horse head spin jig (custom tie by skiptomylu). Others hit the CB slider grubs and straight tailed plastics as well. Mine were doused with the "G" sauce. Can't say it made a significant difference, but it was something "special" to try regardless. Lots of fun!

Only caught a glimpse of either an eagle or osprey today - too far away to verify. A few loons called out to us, but no grizzly bears or moose showed themselves today. Once again, Walt screwed up and forgot to bring the grenades. UGH!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes johnnycrab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ol' Slab needs to put that cdc emblem on a couple of warm winter hats like Walt has on and send it to you guys! Glad to see you guys are braving the oddly cool weather we're having and getting some time in. Thanks for posting up about your trips. I'm enjoying reading them.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job guys
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep