HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where? TN, AR, MO?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Where? TN, AR, MO?

Only a few years from retirement and starting to look for retirement destinations. I was headed to KY Lake, but the Asian Carp situation has made me reconsider. Looking for good crappie and other species adds a lot to the equation. Trying to stay away from the next place to run over by the dreaded Asian Carp. Looking at Dale Hollow/Cumberland in TN/KY, Truman/Stockton in MO or Norfork/Bull Shoals in AR/MO. Thoughts? Suggestions?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Might depend on whether you want to live in a big city, small city, country town, or out in the sticks. In KY, our major lakes are scattered all over the state and not all of them are close to metropolitan areas. You mentioned Dale & Cumberland, but in that general region are Green River Lake, Barren River Lake, Nolin Lake, & Rough River Lake, all of which are different & unique. None of them are subject to the Asian Carp invasion, due to the fact that they do not have locks. All of them offer a diverse number of species for which to fish.

I live in Lexington, so it's a bit of a drive for me to visit most of the lakes in my area, but many can be reached within 1.5hrs drive time or less ... specifically Taylorsville Lake (1.5hr), Green River Lake (2hr), Cumberland (1.5-2hrs), Cave Run Lake (1.5hrs). Where you plan on relocating should also take into account the drive time to lakes in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I was unaware that Kentucky?Barkley had "locks"? Where specifically?
    Does anyone know if the other mentioned lakes in the original post have locks?

Post Thanks / Like

Truman is a great fishery right now and you have LOZ right there as well then Smithville a couple hours out. All very good crappie and bass lakes. LOZ lots of docks to shoot you I know many pull cranks in the summer. Truman more trees to dip and spider rig around. Some docks to shoot and I'm sure you can find places to pull cranks I plan on trying my hand at it this summer. Smithville I have never fished but do see good pics of the fish caught. If you a all about crappie the big 3 are some nice places to be in Mississippi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2011 Z8 250 Mercury
    Solix 15
    360 on Ultrex

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
    I guess I was unaware that Kentucky?Barkley had "locks"? Where specifically?
    Does anyone know if the other mentioned lakes in the original post have locks?
    KY/Barkley have locks at their respective dams. Cumberland Lake & Dale Hollow do not (nor do any of the other lakes I mentioned). KY Lake is connected to the Ohio River by way of the Tenn. River ... Barkley is connected by way of the Cumberland River. Barge traffic is the main reason for the locks, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

3 great states to choose from. Don't think you can go wrong with any
    Likes slackline LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in your search. When I retire I hope to live one mile from Richard Gene.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Beavz, edwardv1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The Truman/Stockton area is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Springfield around an hour to the south, Kansas City a little farther north. May be what you want, may not be.

Bull shoals is much closer to Springfield and Branson, if you're into bigger cities.

Post Thanks / Like

I moved around some while on active duty. My last base was here in Arkansas. As an outdoors man I liked it enough that I stayed here. The only state I would leave it for is back to Alaska. I'm in central AR but if I had a chance I'd move somewhere near lake Ouachita.
    Likes slackline LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I lived in middle TN for 10 years and there is no shortage of fish or good living there. If not for the grandkids I would be there now. I lived in Manchester and there are many lakes in the area with Dale to the north. Guntersville about an hour and Percy Priest near Nashville about that too. Nickajack and Chickamauga just a little further. River fishing too if you’re into that. I’ve been around a bit and like MO too, but the winters there are very different than where I speak of. Good luck in your search, hope you find your Valhalla.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast