Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start pulling cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Start pulling cranks

Ok so I want to start pulling cranks. I was looking at the depthmaster reels at cabelas for reels and I was wanting to know of a good cheap rod and length rod you guys are using. How many of each crank bait do you guys have of each color. Is there anything I should look out for or stay away from. Any help would be great.

Joe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2011 Z8 250 Mercury
    Solix 15
    360 on Ultrex

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Go here http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...-cranks-101-a/ and read...everything you ever wanted to know about pulling cranks
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider starting out is use the reels you have and mark your hi-vis line with a marker. One at 75ft and one at 125, or whatever you think it best. I hardly ever break off and those marks will stay all season. Then you can adjust from there. Also, be careful or you will end up with a ridiculous number of baits. Its an addiction. lol. I would say start with some bandit 300's in pink, black, chart shad, also some #7 flicker shad in purple tiger, red tiger, blue tiger and chart pearl. Plenty of other options on baits, but just trying to suggest some baits that me and my friends have had a lot of success on. On the lakes I have ran cranks those baits would get you into fish. Enjoy
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

We usually use 4 6' ugly sticks spread out on holders mounted to a bar across the back of the boat. Rod tips are spread out at 4 foot intervals. Also used to fish 2 12' B&M pro staff rods 90 degrees out the side. this gave us a 22' trolling spread. Now gone to planer boards out the side, one or two out each side plus the four rods out the back. Can run a 100' spread easily. We like to use the heavier 6 1/2' ugly sticks on the boards. The ugly sticks have a nice medium action for trolling and hold up pretty well. We like the Daiwa accudepth 17 reels, they have been flawless.

Must have bandit colors down here are panic attack, popsickle, pink sparkle, and chart shad. Hot pink, cranberry, bluegill, black bubblegum, glow colors, black, white work good too. I try to keep at least two or three each of the best colors. Crankbait shopping can get addicting.

Where are you at in Missouri? Tombstone Tackle in Columbia has the largest selection of Bandit 300 colors I have ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Like G said check out the thread on the MS board. There is tons and tons of information on there! You can go as cheap or as expensive as you want. More than likely you can get started with everything you already have. It can take some trial and error to find what you like. everyone is different and does things a different way! Thats the joy of fishing is you can make it your own! One big thing with pulling cranks is try to space out your rods to minimize tangles and remember no sharp turns! The shakespear ATS line counters are cheaper and do great the okumas do good as well. I didnt start out with line counters I started out using my spinning reels that I troll with and slowly bought a few line counters. I would say buy several different colors to start with pink, black, orange, green, blue all seem to do good. Arkies, Bandits, Pico's I even use some wiggle warts and have a few of the Bass pro brank crappie cranks.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a related question. I want to try this as well, I have a lot of leftover baits from my bass fishing days. Will these work? I might invest in some new ones, what are a good crank to get for this? I think Bandit 300 are a solid choice?

Baits I already have that might work:

• Bomber fat-free guppy
    • Bomber fat-free
    • Bomber Model A
    • Rapala DT Thug

Name:  IMG_20180605_180559822.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  74.0 KB
    Likes crappie curt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught crappie on that bomber fat free! A lot of those will work just depends on how deep your fish are hanging!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to this site and get you some of the cheap Shakespere line counters and search through their rods and you can usually find some inexpensive 7-8 ft med action rods that will work fine for getting started. As far as baits send Ree's Guide a pm. He can hook you up with some arkie cranks that are good as bandits and a lot cheaper with more color combos for crappie.
    https://northwoodsoutlet.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was thinking I would get with John give him a dollar figure and let him pick some out for me.

2011 Z8 250 Mercury
    Solix 15
    360 on Ultrex

Post Thanks / Like

I am in st. Louis. I fish in Illinois and mo just depends on what I feel like. The lakes in IL are closer for me like rend and Carlyle. I fished them both for the first time a couple weeks ago. I think pulling cranks on Carlyle may be good not a very deep lake from what I saw and lots of area without snags.

2011 Z8 250 Mercury
    Solix 15
    360 on Ultrex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast