Thread: I wanna try dock shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default I wanna try dock shooting

Whats the best rod and reel combo?
    2017 Ranger RT188C Shadow Grass Camo
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Crappie Novice

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody has a different opinion on this subject. I prefer a 5'6" or 6' light action. With a spinning reel. Longer rods has to much whip effect for my liking. And tje shorter rods are easier to handle around the docks. UL rods have the same thing to me. Hiviz line helps to. Just my opinion.
    Likes Northforker, skeetbum, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

7 ft Ozark Dock shooter. If tried them all. Any large spool spinning reel and nanofil line
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
    Likes Northforker LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I started shooting docks with a 5' & 5.5' UL rods & UL reels ... did OK with those. Also tried longer rods, up to 8' long, and while I could shoot a dock with them, they weren't the easiest and most practical to use. I then realized that the longer rods (& the UL rods, to an extent) were not getting me the results I wanted (distance) because of two things : the parabolic bend of the longer rods & the small diameter spool of the UL reels. I started using my 6'6" jig casting rod & 20series size reel and found that combo to be quite effective. The reason is the larger spool size of the reel, which let out more line easier/quicker than the smaller reels .... and the very fast action tip of the jig casting rod put more speed/power behind the jig, which made it go farther & skip easier. One other small factor in the longer rod, was that I didn't have to jerk the rod up over my head to set the hook (like I was having to do at times with the shorter rods).

The fact is .... you can shoot docks with any number of rod/reel combinations, if you practice with them & get your release timing down to where your accuracy is in the 90% range. I just think that a fast action tip & a wide or "longcast" reel spool is going to make things a little easier to get greater power & range out of your shot.

And don't forget to follow up shooting a dock with Vertical Casting around the outer dock posts. This is what I mean by "Vertical Casting" -- Crappie Pappy Article

And for what it's worth : I use a 6'6" ESP Power Lite rod - Okuma Stratus STX20 spinning reel - 6# test Vicious Panfish hi-vis copolymer lne - 1/16oz weedless jig w/#2Aberdeen hook & various solid plastics (mainly in the "stinger shad" style body).
    Likes Northforker, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

BnM Sharpshooter 6 with Pflueger President works for me.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes Northforker LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I shoot docks, and many other tight quarters, with whatever I have in my hand. I've done this quite a bit so don't pay attention to what I use. I agree with what Crappiepappy said about choices. A medium action rod, 2000 series reel is what a lot of folks already have and this will work to get you off the ground. Fine tuning after you have a feel for it will come later. The biggest thing I can say is to not overthink it. It's a simple technique and will come easier and naturally after you have done it a while. An example; I was lucky to be able to hit an area under a dock on posts with lots of clearance when I started and now, though I'm probably a bit rusty, I can hit a 4" square hole between dock floats and skip 4 or 5 feet back underneath. It's all about practice, not equipment. Lots of folks learn the basics trying to hit a coffee can at a given distance in the yard or the garage. The rod ETfish stated is a good choice but try before you buy or you may buy again. Keep us posted please, you're teaching others as well.........Skeet
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I shoot docks, and many other tight quarters, with whatever I have in my hand. I've done this quite a bit so don't pay attention to what I use. I agree with what Crappiepappy said about choices. A medium action rod, 2000 series reel is what a lot of folks already have and this will work to get you off the ground. Fine tuning after you have a feel for it will come later. The biggest thing I can say is to not overthink it. It's a simple technique and will come easier and naturally after you have done it a while. An example; I was lucky to be able to hit an area under a dock on posts with lots of clearance when I started and now, though I'm probably a bit rusty, I can hit a 4" square hole between dock floats and skip 4 or 5 feet back underneath. It's all about practice, not equipment. Lots of folks learn the basics trying to hit a coffee can at a given distance in the yard or the garage. The rod ETfish stated is a good choice but try before you buy or you may buy again. Keep us posted please, you're teaching others as well.........Skeet
    This is spot on. If I am just fishing and a dock shooting opportunity arises, I shoot with what I have. I fish some with a Lightning Rod, ML, and it does good. Mr Crappie (the older yellow one, Slab Shaker?) does just fine.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes genec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wally Marshall 7 foot shooting rod, you can't go wrong

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes Roy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Some say it's the Indian, not the bow. I think the bow matters some, too. But I agree with all Cpappy had to offer. I currently have the WM SpeedShooter in 7'. Really like it. The ML POWER and the fast ACTION are very nice and efficient. Personally I use at least a 2500 series reel, often a 4000. I like the larger spool. Can't tell you what is best for you, just what seems to work well for me. Good luck in your search. btw I had to get used to this rod a bit. Tore loose on several before I figured it all out.
    Likes Roy LIKED above post