HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer fishing lakes with hydrilla and mill foil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer fishing lakes with hydrilla and mill foil

In my attempt to become a year round crappie fisherman I find myself back at square one. I started fishing for crappie last September and really never got on any crappie until winter. I want to change that this year. I was catching fish still in a spring pattern last week and did pretty good until Saturday. I was catching them on structure in 7-9 FOW. We did marginally ok Saturday morning but around 9:00 am the bite died. This was the same spot that we caught crappie until noon The day before.

I decided to move out deeper and scan the creek channel for structure. I found plenty of it in water ranging from 12-22 feet deep but didn’t find any crappie, or none that I could catch. When we moved out deeper we went back to longlining and I’m fairly certain that I got my jigs deep enough to catch the fish that were suspended around bait fish. Most fish were showing up around 18 feet deep in 20-22 FOW. I pulled across a point that was 16 feet deep and all our rigs were bumping bottom so I feel that I had my jigs running just above their heads.

It was was brutally hot Saturday and I know I can’t base an entire summers fishing off of one bad trip.

Id just like to hear from others who fish lakes full of vegetation and see what tactics you use to catch summer crappie. I have a suspicion that many crappie just bury up in the “grass” during the summer and if that’s so they’re going to be hard to catch power pushing jigs or cranks. But then again maybe I just don’t know what I’m talking about and just don’t know how to catch them.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I will sound very much like a broken record, but here goes. As a rule, I don’t troll. I have no problem with those who do, it just doesn’t fit my O.C.D. I like the trolling part just fine, it’s the setting up and tearing down that gets to me. Not to mention the inadvertent bass, stripe, or catfish that likes my offering, and then proceeds to tangle everything! I’m kind of run n gun, and prefer to just lay my rod down, raise the trolling motor, and go. I say all of this to set up my favorite summer tactic. Dock shooting! If you’ve got docks in deeper water, try shooting them on a sunny day when the fish are seeking shelter. To me, it’s fun AND productive!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I just fish early or late this time of year
    I had the fish shut down just like you described a couple days ago .
    Dock shooting like mentioned above is worth a shot if you have any good ones around ( provided the owners don’t care )

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy dock shooting and I'm not great at catching them that way so I need to practice but the good docks to shoot on Guntersville are very spread out and are limited in numbers. They get hit HARD and often. There are only a double handful of docks in deep water or close to deep water that aren't choked out with grass. Or let me say it this way, there aren't a bunch of fishable docks that I know about yet. I know of 15-20 that are deep water access, that are fishable. Since Guntersville doesn't vary in depth much, most docks are built right on the water, with very little access to get a jig under them and 90% of docks are in 3-5 FOW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    I really enjoy dock shooting and I'm not great at catching them that way so I need to practice but the good docks to shoot on Guntersville are very spread out and are limited in numbers. They get hit HARD and often. There are only a double handful of docks in deep water or close to deep water that aren't choked out with grass. Or let me say it this way, there aren't a bunch of fishable docks that I know about yet. I know of 15-20 that are deep water access, that are fishable. Since Guntersville doesn't vary in depth much, most docks are built right on the water, with very little access to get a jig under them and 90% of docks are in 3-5 FOW.
    How about marinas? They are often my go to. Needless to say, I know nothing about Guntersville.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

That's one of the few places that I know to try. There are some big marinas here with some really big boats in them. Surely they don't mind little ol me bouncing a jig off their cabin cruiser. LOL

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    That's one of the few places that I know to try. There are some big marinas here with some really big boats in them. Surely they don't mind little ol me bouncing a jig off their cabin cruiser. LOL
    Forget the cabin cruisers ... seek out pontoons that look like they haven't been out of their slip in a long time. Don't matter if they're in a open or covered slip, as long as they're sitting in the water (& not up on a lift). You'd be surprised at how many fish hang around right under the surface of the water under a pontoon.

Also be aware that "some" marinas don't allow fishing around them, or their moored boats. And they may not even have signs posted to that effect.
    Thanks FurFlyin thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll try to work some pontoons. There are a couple different marinas where there are lots of pontoons.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a thought while reading this. If you think the fish have buried up in the weeds, go in after them. You might try a brushguard jig head and a decent sized body because you will have to punch through the funk to get to what's under it. Not a wire weedless as they don't deflect enough trash, whereas the brushguard has done a very good job of this for me in the past. Just my thought.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks FurFlyin thanked you for this post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Got an idea for ya since your on the lower end with all those deep creek Chanel’s I’ll put you into some cranking supplies unless someone can help me improve on a summer tactic that I catch more than 10-12 keepers all day on a 90° day I’m done come June ! Lake lice + hot weather + all the loose grass = a good recliner and a good Ac and a lot lower blood pressure!
    Too blessed to be stressed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast