Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow trolling rod opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slow trolling rod opinions

I was curious on what everyone’s opinions are on which rods would be better for slow trolling double minnow rigs and single jigs. I’m thinking about going with either 16 bgjp’s or Capps and Coleman trolling rods. I have heard that the bgjps are lighter but I’m curious if a Capps and Coleman is light enough to slow troll single jigs if needed. Bare with me because I am completely new to slow trolling. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the C&C rods...In my opinion they handle weights from 1/4 to 1/2 ounce really well.I pretty much always double rig with them but they should work well with a single jig setup,they're a pretty limber and sensitive pole.

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If completely new have you thought about starting with 14's??
    Likes Snubby LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 14 ft. BnM Capps and Colemans....been useing them a long time...i like them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Slabo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like my Southern Crappie rods, I have a set of the scr143 (14' rods) and can't imagine a tougher rod that also offers tip sensitivity. I've had these rods doubled under the boat on numerous occasions and have yet to break a rod or a tip section.
    Likes TNReb58 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1 View Post
    I was curious on what everyone’s opinions are on which rods would be better for slow trolling double minnow rigs and single jigs. I’m thinking about going with either 16 bgjp’s or Capps and Coleman trolling rods. I have heard that the bgjps are lighter but I’m curious if a Capps and Coleman is light enough to slow troll single jigs if needed. Bare with me because I am completely new to slow trolling. Thanks!
    In my opinion you want go wrong with either rod,both good rods.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Javelin 180 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like my Southern Crappie Rods and you can't ask for a better person to deal with than Ed Duke.
    Likes TNReb58 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

bowhunter, you can't go wrong with info you've already gotten, southern crappie rods are tuff and lighter tipped than the other's you've asked about. That said, if you want a stronger rod with some flex, Look At Vexan rods, they are newer on the market, and not many know about them yet. I use both Southern's and Now Vexan Crappie rods I'd suggest buying several different one's and seeing which you like the best. one thing though 14's will be all the length you need that's all we use tightlining anywhere from 6' to 35' deep water. ( my opinion)
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

The capps and colemans and bgjp's will have better tip action than the southern crappie rods.I had southerns before i bought the bgjp's and when its windy or alot of boat traffic the tips flopped around too much.Loved my southerns there tough as nails,ed duke cant be beat,but tip action is what made me change poles.I found out about the tip action when i fished in a buddies boat on a windy day,he has capps and colemans.If you fish just on calm low traffic days the southerns would be great,but if i fished windy high traffic day bgp's or capps and colemans would be my choice.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Slow trolling once the water heats up I don't see much difference . Light bite in cold/cool water is where the fast tip proves it's worth . I have had pst's , Ozarks, and Southern .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast