HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a victim of ID theft...FYI

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am a victim of ID theft...FYI

Not fishing, but this is important.

I received a letter from IRS stating someone had used my name and SS to apply for a job.

I was not worried about an attempt to steal my tax refund as I always pay (plenty). I would be happy to let the thief pay though.

I protected myself when I retired by placing a "freeze" on my credit reports when i retired. No one can use my credit. I also had "flags" added to my bank accounts that inhibit wire transfers, etc.

The breach of ID either came from EQUIFAX or the VA. My name was on both "be aware" warning lists when the breaches were reported.

The only hassle is waiting on new credit card. I will have to change a lot of stuff with the new cards, like Amazon, etc.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the thieves are real busy working to get out of working.

BE AWARE!
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes armyman, crp4570, timd3200, Hanr3 LIKED above post
    Thanks stormcloud, Slabprowler, Redge, Lane47, halibut4me, SpeckledSlab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Credit freeze costs $10 per reporting institution (Equifax, etc.) in Texas. Total of $30 is cheap for the piece of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Been there 3 times, what a bummer!

Post Thanks / Like

Charges vary from state to state. SC residents pay no fees to them for placing or releasing freezes.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that. Ive never had my ID stolen but my debit card has been hacked several dozen times. In talking with my bank I found out for those of us that drive a lot...thus fueling a lot.....we are the ones that happens to the most....and I drive a lot...around 50,000 miles a year. I’ve never lost any money as my bank has it back in less than 24 hours. But I have quit using a debit card at gas stations. For over a year now I only use a credit card at the pump and so far it has never been hacked. Like you I don’t get a tax refund so I’d be happy for someone to file and pay my taxes....LOL.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I NEVER use a debit card for gas purchases! That way you're only liable for $50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    I NEVER use a debit card for gas purchases! That way you're only liable for $50.
    At my bank I have Zero Liability....it just got to be a hassle getting a new card all the time. Even the credit cards we use we don’t have any liability if it is hacked. Most online purchases are done through PayPal so no worries there.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't trust the credit reporting agencies. They collect and sell sensitive personal information without anyone's consent.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes RMGeorge, wannabe fisherman, Redge LIKED above post
    Thanks SeaRay thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I don't trust the credit reporting agencies. They collect and sell sensitive personal information without anyone's consent.
    My sentiments exactly. It's like they came out of nowhere and now they control your life. It would really hack me off if I had to pay them to freeze and unfreeze my credit history that I never agreed they could have and administer.
    Our then Governor, Nikki Haley, negotiated the no charge arrangements via legislation.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't trust any agency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast