Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Packing light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Packing light

Some of the people that read my posts know I typically pack light . Its a rare day if I even carry a jig box and that's when I am in a boat if I do even then . So in many cases I don't have a high number of options with me and try to guess what is likely the best stuff to be pitching where ever and when ever I get to the water . When I hit the river by my work place at lunch break I stand on a 45 degree angle concrete slab up under a bridge . Its most assuredly a very precarious perch and tough on older body parts for sure . I don't try to carry anything much down that slope other than my phone and my rod already rigged with a float and a jig or 2 .
    this particular trip I did have the G sauce in my back pocket though and man I have to tell ya the fish for sure will eat that stuff. A spray and a bite or 2 and after 3 fish I hit it again . If I make several casts and don't get hit I juice it up again as well . Now mind you I knew fish were there as I got a really hard hit first cast . To further add to my confidence I could see very small baitfish on the surface in numbers way across river in the shade . Those bait fish were nervous and jumpy and that's a for sure indication of predator activity under them most of the time .
    Anyway on to the particulars , very long casts with a pencil float pinched on at about 5 foot above a single 1/16 at first and later I went to a tandem 1/32 under the same float depth as an experiment to see if color had much to do with the bite . Color and jig size wasn't making any difference I could see and I am pretty sure the G sauce was in on the hard bites I was getting .
    The heat ran me off from the fish and I left them biting because I was thirsty and hungry and sweating right hard even in the shade with a breeze and a thin shirt . Lost several good fish as I was using to light of a rod for this kind of presentation with mono far out there . Hooksets far away must be VERY hard with mono to get hook penetration and my 7 foot Tica isn't the rod for this type of thing . She is an ultralite and I needed my heavier 8 footer but it didn't have a full load of line that's needed for these super long casts , so I made do and let a few get away .
    Sort of frustrating for sure to feel a heavy one on for 2 or 3 reel cranks and then gone but with that much line out there its sometimes the way it goes . You have to really keep the pressure on them far way crappie , otherwise they stay far way
    hope you enjoy the read and photos
    p.s. fish ran for the most part black white black white and a couple of smaller black bass were in with them on the bait as well .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Nice bunch of fish. Great post.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Pepop’s jigs. Hard to beat! Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent batch of fish and report.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Well done!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhaire View Post
    Looks like Pepop’s jigs. Hard to beat! Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    the little pink headed one is yes sir , the little blue and chart is that gal from dfw and the big purple head is from either a guy from up north or ACAMS from east texas ....heck I may be wrong and it might be from someone else , maybe a guy from Washington state ....my old brain don't work like it used to
    cant remember exactly who tied the larger one for me
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good!

by the way, yeour inbox is full!
    Never let your outboard motor horsepower exceed your IQ