Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Couldy day fishing tips ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Couldy day fishing tips ?

Are cloudy days as good as fishing as sunny or part sunny days ? Are certain colors better on cloudy days ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If its darker outside use bright colors. I've found cloudy days to be pretty good.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to fish for crappie on a cloudy day or when the wind's kicking up the current on a sunny day b/c they tend to bite better IME. Otherwise drop a minnow deep and watch that bobber!

the next generation of slabhunters

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Oh, to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4
    Are cloudy days as good as fishing as sunny or part sunny days ? Are certain colors better on cloudy days ? -Thanks
    Cloudy days are very good days !! Gives the fish more of a sense of security. I've also noticed, that on cloudy days ... the fish seem to venture a bit farther away from the cover they're holding on. On Sunny days ... they seem to hold tighter to cover, or utilize deeper cover. Even on a sunny day, a little wind created wave action, can bring them shallower in the water column.
    Crappie like Shade !! Helps with their camo effect, hiding them from baitfish. Shaded water is also generally cooler water, which is beneficial to know when the Sun is beating down.
    I like using two color jig bodies .... so I don't have to do too much guessing, or changing. Blue or black with chartreuse tails, green w/char, etc ... most any contrasting combo (dark/light) ... will allow your bait to be seen under most lighting conditions. ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy,
    GREAT information. Thanks for sharing. I'm not much of a jig user, but the ones I have caught have been on black/chartreuse and red/chartreuse.
    CrappieLovinGirl

Post Thanks / Like

The only time that I can see that the sunny or partly sunny days would be better is in the early spring as your water temp is 59 or 60 and a sunny warm day will bring the temp up to 67 plus, this would make a big differance in the fish moving up shallow. I use blk/char, blk/blue, or blk/pink on real dark days.
    Spindle Guide Service
    Lake Ray Roberts
    940-727-3493
    www.spindleguideservice.com

THUMP It JIGS

Post Thanks / Like

Cloudy days are the days I like best and I use jigs that are bright and dark like black/Black/Fl. Yellow or Chart/speckled FL. Yellow &Black body/ with Hot Orange tail or a Flo. Fire Orange tail. Another good color is my Black Widow and it is Black/Same speckled Chenille body/Black tail. Marabou feathers are my favorite, but also use hackle tail a lot.

Sunny days I use all white and other very light colors.

Also absolutely love trolling with my troll motor on cloudy days in water say 4' to 10' around and over grass.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cloud Nine

Fishing on a Cloudy day, Chartreuse and white jig, cold lemonade = The good life. A bunch of slabs makes the evening meal.

Life is good.

Sunny days, fish in the shade or fish deeper for the slabs, work on your suntan, work up a sweat .........Not!

Clouds = better fishing. The fish are not so tight to cover and are not as scared. They are ready to bite.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up You're Welcome, young lady ....

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieLovinGirl
    Crappiepappy,
    GREAT information. Thanks for sharing. I'm not much of a jig user, but the ones I have caught have been on black/chartreuse and red/chartreuse.
    CrappieLovinGirl
    I've "known" about catching Crappie on jigs, since back in the 60's ... but, generally started using them instead of minnows, probably in the late 70's. It wasn't a light switch change, though ... more of a on again, off again, kind of a deal :D
    I started with hair/marabou jigs ... but, once I found plastic tubes, then I expanded my arsenal. I went for about 4 yrs of throwing one color/size ... I was using a 1/16oz weedless jighead & a 1.5" BPS Sparkle Squirt tube - the color is called "Electric Blue/Chartreuse". Dark blue body with silver glitter and chartreuse tails. It was a "killer", and still is. I think it has the qualities needed for water clarity that ranges from slightly stained to lightly dirty ... basically what most of the lakes I fish, are. That jig is probably third in line, of the baits I've caught the most Crappie on, behind a solid Chartreuse marabou 1/16oz Roadrunner and the "old faithful" minnow .. LOL!!

.......... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had good success with darker colors on cloudy days. These days are also my favorite days to fish. I like June bug (Brown) with chartreuse or yellow tails, also black and chartreuse and dark shades of blue with chartreuse or yellow tails.