HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Side Pulling Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Side Pulling Questions

Interested in talking to anyone here with experience side pulling. Yesterday was our 3rd. trip out using this technique. We fabricated a false transom for use on the starboard gunnel on the Tracker Panfisher16. We fish off the port side, two rods per fisherman (all that is allowed by law!). That has worked out fairly well so far.

The learning curve we are now going through is how to maintain a perpendicular course to maximize the line/rod spreads. We are operating the electric in reverse mode, vs. forward, to allow us easier access to the motor handle:

Name:  TM_1.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  158.2 KB

When we engage the TM, it starts out ok, but tends to move us right or left as opposed to keeping the boat perpendicular to the direction you want to travel in and keeping our lines perpendicular as well. Small changes to the TM handle sometimes equal varying degrees of direction change, from dramatic to subtle. Especially with a light breeze to contend with.

Just would like some insight into the use of a side pulling electric and any tips or techniques you guys employ. I just want to spend more time fishing and less being overly concerned about course corrections.

Thanks for any feed back guys. Crappie.com is indisputably the best!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes SuperCorona, Skippa Chippa LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

PM sent
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

You can turn the control head and handle around on the shaft and have access to forward thrust
    Likes Eagle 1, "G", 1187mg, Snubby, armyman LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep...remove screw....turn a half turn...put screw back in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes 1187mg LIKED above post
    Thanks crp4570 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea. I've got a Panfish and was thinking about trying something similar ever since I saw Roger Gant side pulling on a Brushpile Fishing episode. Can you move the false transom up and down the gunnel? I was wondering if you'd stay a little more perpendicular by sliding it back just a bit.
    Last edited by SuperCorona; 05-30-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCorona View Post
    Great idea. I've got a Panfish and was thinking about trying something similar ever since I saw Roger Gant side pulling on a Brushpile Fishing episode. Can you move the false transom up and down the gunnel? I was wondering if you'd stay a little more perpendicular by sliding it back just a bit.
    Yes! We designed this particular transom to be moveable fore & aft. However, this particular Tracker's rod bench tapers considerably fore & aft, so in order to secure it's location we had to pick a spot. Which we did, figuring on our experience over the years. It can still be moved, but will not be a perfect fit as it is now. Relatively easy to design actually, but the challenge was in keeping top rod storage in tack, which we accomplished.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Think if you reverse the steering head you will find it much easier to control.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G", crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

And goes without saying, do it at home or in the garage as opposed to on the water. I swapped (turned the head) on my old BP Prowler over to a bow mount in about 10 seconds at the shop one time. Decided to turn the head on my Minn Kota like yours this spring while on the water one day and let's just say it was frustrating. Be careful of the wires, don't wanna force the screw back thru.
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G";3643432]Yep...remove screw....turn a half turn...put screw back in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using [URL="http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936
    Crappie.com Fishing mobile app[/URL]
    OK.....where do I find this "screw" to change the head or motor around? Is it where the prop is? I don't see anything on the head (tiller end) of the tm.

Post Thanks / Like

Should be right below the head the tiller is on.....i can see it in your picture...right below the tiller head...rim on bottom of it...its on the side opposite the tiller handle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast