Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 5/29/18

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 5/29/18

Walt & I launched and started fishing around 7:45 am this morning. Sky was cloudless and clear, with the air at 67 (with a predicted high of around 90!) and the water temp 65 degrees. Winds were calm to about 5 mph later in the morning. When we pulled off at 12:45 pm, we had only caught & released 20 fish! A big disappointment for us for sure. Air temp at that point had reached 88 degrees! Hot out there!

Most of the fish caught were crappie, with 2 bluegill, 1 pickeral and 1 rainbow trout (which took a fancy to an all white, 1/16 oz. horse head marabou jig). We targeted the 10' - 16' depths where we took most of the decent crappie. We also got some over the 22' depths as well. They were centered around bait balls here & there. No heavy concentrations - yet. It's early, so as the season progresses we'll start seeing more schools of crappie out deep, chasing bait. (We do not like targeting the shallow, weedy bays, mainly because of the pickeral and the bite offs!)

Didn't take a lot of fish pics....most were average size about like this one:

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  136.3 KB

This is the mating season for loons up here and they were all over the place today. Took a shot of this fellow who constantly dove and came back up to swallow the bait fish he was targeting:

Name:  Loon_1.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  Loon_2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  57.9 KB

Pretty noisy characters. Great seeing them each trip. No eagles today, nor much of any other wildlife. Still a great day regardless. Targeting this Friday for another shot, but it depends on the weather folks.

One thing of note. The side mounted TM did well today, running for about 4 hours, the size 24 deep cycle seems to be just what the doctor ordered. However, I'm finding it difficult to maintain a course moving side ways. Very small steering corrections yield dramatic direction changes sometimes. Especially with a breeze.

Anyone have any experience - side pulling - they'd care to share with us? Becoming proficient with steering has become more of a challenge than I had anticipated!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Great report. Enjoyed reading it. Congrats

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics, always a pleasure to read your stories. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you guys got out.....it was a great day looks like
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

20 average fish is nothing to be dissapointed about. Nice job. There are days I would kill to catch 20 average fish.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app