PDA

View Full Version : spider rigging question

barrelslime
05-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Im using a Capps Coleman type double bait rig. Dragging bottom on high spots and hanging in brush seem to be a reoccurring issue and Im wondering, and im sure some one had tried this, but putting a sinker on the bottom and 2 hooks above would seem to hang me up less. I realize an additional 3 way swivel would be added to this rig, but what do others think. Using a sinker like this one, up to a 3 way and up to another 3 way.
What do you guys think and what would be any potential downfalls?

Boa3
05-29-2018, 01:37 PM
That is close to a Kentucky rig. It works fine.

Shad
05-29-2018, 04:21 PM
I just try to keep my spider rig system simple. I am not as good as Ronnie Capps so I use one minnow hook or a jig below a 1/2 or 3/4 barrel sinker. I figure out what depth the fish are holding at and that is how far down I lower my rig. Don't really get hung up very often. I have tried the double rig and had more trouble with it on and off of the water and used a lot of minnows for same amount of crappie. I am sure more hooks in the water will catch more for others but for me keeping things simple catches fish and makes it more enjoyable on the water.

chaunc
05-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Try some of Ricky's no snag sinkers. they will help.

Erin Brewer
05-30-2018, 09:54 AM
Alot of people do it this way! Another benefit of doing it this way is it is easier to change the weight! Say you want to go from a 1/4 oz to a 1 oz on the C and C style rigs you would have to swap the whole rigs where as when putting the weight on the bottom you can just tie on another weight or you could use a snap and just swap them out!

barrelslime
05-30-2018, 04:50 PM
After thinking about this a bit more I dont really need 3 way swivels. Loop knot / down / loop knot / down Weight.. Kinda like a double drop shot rig

Bals gib
05-30-2018, 05:52 PM
After thinking about this a bit more I dont really need 3 way swivels. Loop knot / down / loop knot / down Weight.. Kinda like a double drop shot rig
Correct no 3 way needed run two hooks up the line tie sinker to bottom then come up whatever you like I prefer about 12 inches up then double loop knot so you can leave a few inches of tag and it won’t slide then same for hook number two it’s the simplest rig out there and it works!!!