HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drift socks vs dragging chains for trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift socks vs dragging chains for trolling

I’m trying to figure out which is better and why? Pros and cons to each. I have a lightweight 1548 Xpress and it gets to moving quick on windy days. Wears me out trying to fight it with the trolling motor.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 1650. On a good windy day, I can throw out 2 4'socks, put the trolling motor on 3 and do 0.8mph into the wind. On 5 the fastest I can do is 1.2, Letting the wind blew me with the trolling motor on 1,just to keep me straight, I usually run around .5 to 1.2 mph. He fastest I think I've had it go was 1.5 with both socks out. All with a 55lb thrust TM. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift socks vs dragging chains for trolling

How do u decide what size sock to use? And how many? I was looking at the Lindy fisherman series of socks and they had the below chart as reference. I was thinking a single 42” but based off what ur saying I need more.Name:  IMG_0107.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  55.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 almost always. One turns your boat to the side. Never drug chains but have drug buckets with a small amount on concrete in them and they tended to get hung up.

Post Thanks / Like

Any issues with socks getting hung? I can see how that could turn into a bad situation quick haha. I’ve hear chains kinda snake thru the brush but never done or seen it so I have no idea. I wondered about if only running one sock if that would affect the drift direction. May look at 2 of the 42s if I go that route.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been a fan of chains beating my floor up. Driving or on the water. Heavy too. Only have a 25 so I need all the speed I can get. 24.9 is as fast as I can go, so putting 40lbs of chain would slow me way down. Have had a sock catch on a stump a couple of times but all you do is pull it up and throw it right back out. Only issue I've ever had with a sock is the dump line break. And man is that thing HEAVY trying to get out of the water. Had mine for 7 years now and they still have a lot of life left in them. No expert but I won't go without them now.

Thanks SlabSeeker0485 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chains can ruin a lot of tree tops or slat buckets. They should be outlawed, my 2 cents!
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 24ft. boat and I use two 66" socks out the back and my nose [spider rigging ] going with the wind. I can usually maintain about 3-4 tenths mile per hr. like that. If I get going to slow I can either use the trolling mtr. to pull me as fast as I want or pull a sock and use one that I rig to run directly behind the motor to keep me straight. I use Cabelas socks and love them. I have also used chains and a 5foot length of 3/8 chain on a rope[mine are 50ft. long] will work also. I use chains in real stumpy areas. You can let out enough length of rope to litterly stop your boat. I run one on each side. You just have to play with the length of rope until you get the desired speed. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Dragging chains should be illegal at this point in time for any body of water. Just buy a sock or two

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boa3 View Post
    I have a 24ft. boat and I use two 66" socks out the back and my nose [spider rigging ] going with the wind. I can usually maintain about 3-4 tenths mile per hr. like that. If I get going to slow I can either use the trolling mtr. to pull me as fast as I want or pull a sock and use one that I rig to run directly behind the motor to keep me straight. I use Cabelas socks and love them.
    I think socks will be the route I go. I was also wondering if a single sock could be pulled in the center so I’m glad u mentioned that. I will just have to decide which size I should go with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast