Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Occurrence?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strange Occurrence?

Thursday my wife and I were fishing a brush pile, We were anchored in a bay like area in 17 feet of water, upwind from the brush. The water was rippled, but not choppy. Suddenly we were hit by three waves which were actually cresting over ( white capping ). These were really big waves (3-4ft), considering there had been no big boat, or any boat for that matter, and no pickup in the wind. The bay is approximately 250 yards by one half mile, with the wind quartering across the narrow side. As soon as the waves subsided, all returned to normal. We were in a deep Lund; had it been a smaller boat I have no doubt swamping would have been a definite possibility. I have heard of wave potentiation in the ocean. Anyone ever experienced anything similar, or have an explanation?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

There was an earthquake recorded in TN on May 24, which would be the right day. It was at around 3 pm. Could that be it?
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's scary

Post Thanks / Like

Bigfoot swimming underwater. Someone notify DonDon.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Heard of something similar happening on a lake here in Central KY .... very deep & narrow lake with rock cliffs. I heard that a section of one of the cliffs (under the surface) gave way in a sort of "landslide", causing heavy waves to go across the lake & back. It bounced a few docks & marina moored houseboats around, but didn't do major damage .... other than freaking out a few people occupying those houseboats. (it happened in a no wake zone)

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

What about when a lake turns over? I know they say you can smell it when it occurs.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S10CHEVY View Post
    What about when a lake turns over? I know they say you can smell it when it occurs.
    IMHO-
    Turnover wouldn't create a wave. Turnover occurs when the water is warm and cold temps cool the upper layer, which then drops down thru the lower warm layers (because cold water is heavier/denser than warm water) and that stirs up the layers, evening out the temps throughout those layers. When you can "smell" the turnover it's because the bottom muck is stirred up in the process.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago, when I was fishing Lake Champlain in VT, we experienced something similar. You'd be sitting in your boat on calm water and all of a sudden the water would swell in a series of incredibly big, powerful waves.....several in succession. No white caps.....just large waves. Again, no boats or barges were around us, nor had there been any for a long time.

The locals told us it was their "nessie" monster! LOL! But, some did say that when the big barges pass through the locks, waves can reverberate for hours throughout the lake's system. Who knows? In any case it can be disturbing, like you said!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I have a experienced this on Center Hill Lake......no barges or lock on that lake. I was fishing in sight of dam and not another boat in sight. You could see it coming from the direction of the dam and it was pretty high....maybe 3 feet. Have no clue how or why it was created....but I must admit kind of spooky.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet that was spooky
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast