HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "He wrote Billy Bob Loves Charlene"

Post Thanks / Like

Default "He wrote Billy Bob Loves Charlene"

In John Deere Green! Much to the dismay of my son, I've been singing that song, since around 5:30 this afternoon. We took advantage of the light rain and windy Memorial day, hoping that the weather had kept the masses of pleasure boaters and jet skis off Lake Guntersville and we were correct. The winds from TS Alberto are arriving so we had to fish up in a creek but that ended up working out quite well. We started out pulling jigs on the edge of the creek channel and caught fish, but they weren't the targetted specie. I knew there was a stump bed on the edge of the channel about 1/2 mile down the creek so we trolled down to it. The water is only 5-8 feet deep but I was hoping that with the clouds and drizzle that the fish would be up shallow, and they were. We were fishing with 8 rods and the first pass through the stump field, my son caught a keeper crappie and we broke the jigs off 6 of the rigs. Ouch. We retied and made another pass. I caught a white bass that pass and we broke off 2-3 rigs. Rinse, repeat for about an hour. After we had broke off 15-20 jigs I started using grubs in my tackle box that were my least favorites. I threw my son a John Deere green Snake River flat tailed jig. I had bought an assortment of jig bodies from him last fall when I first found crappie.com I asked him to send me an assortment of his best selling jig bodies. I'll admit, when I saw those green and yellow flat tailed jigs I thought they had obviously fallen into the assortment bag while his back was turned. So to say the least, my confidence wasn't high for that color. It only took two more passes for me to warm up to it. After my son put that one jig on, the next 2 passes through there he caught crappie on it. I decided to try one too. Next trip through, I caught a 15 1/2" crappie on the JD Green jig. We were still breaking off jigs on every pass and with the wind it was really hard and frustrating to retie. Sometimes it takes a while for things to click with me, but I finally thought to try spider rigging over the top of the stumps and that was the ticket. We caught quite a few fish. Probably 20 crappie and 20 LM, yellow and white bass and a couple gills.

I told my son on the way home that he and I had caught more crappie since the first of the year than I have caught in my entire life if they had been all added together. Crappie.com and it's members have turned me into a budding crappie fisherman! The thing that I am the proudest of is that I have not re-fished a single spot or place where someone has taken me fishing. I have taken what I've learned from them, found similar terrain or cover in a different part of the lake or even a different lake, and used what they taught me to catch fish. Seriously, I cannot thank you guys enough for what you've done. Especially to those who took me under their wing and showed me the techniques used to catch them. I am forever grateful to you guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a great day! Now you’ve got that song stuck in my head!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Thanks FurFlyin thanked you for this post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on another great trip together! Way to go on putting it together !

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post. Way to adapt and get results.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day even with all the reties,nice catch!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on an awesome day on the water. You are correct, there is a boat load of fishing information on this site and members willing to share it.

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a good trip and being able to take knowledge learned and apply it successfully. I am usually too hard headed to try different things if what I am doing does not work.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerA View Post
    I am usually too hard headed to try different things if what I am doing does not work.
    Me too and for me it’s harder to learn to not be hardheaded than it is to learn a different way to fish

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you've taken the information freely given by other members of this site and placed it
    to good use and caught fish, you can't be too hardheaded. It sounds like you absorbed
    the info given and put it to good use! Congrats!
    "Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason" President Ronald Reagan

Proud Member of "TEAM GEEZER"

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting those John deer green is what we call Arkansas's maybe I'll have to put them back on my website so if anyone contact me for wanting them they are called Arkansas.

www.bobsjigs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast