Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightstalking tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nightstalking tips?

What is the best light for night stalking ? Is it better to use more than one light or just one.. I would guess if you used 2 you should keep them close together to keep from splitting fish up?

I also want some simple rod holder to hold 3 or 4 rods.. want one on front and one back but I want removable so I can take them off when not night fishing. I have done it a little bit but i'm gonna get into it heavy this summer
    because I bought me a good boat.

Any tips would be appreciated, Ive learned alot from reading these forums.

Thanks.

Im in East Tennessee , When would be a good time to start nightstalking? I was thinking maybe middle of May.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a bunch of guys on here that can point you in the right direction, the only tip I would give is to get out there now...no reason to wait til May. Good luck.
    I personally use a floater and a white submersible.
    Polar Kraft 1571 DB
    Mercury 25 hp 4-Stroke

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of boat do you have? If it's aluminum, there are several systems that attach to the gunwale and can be easily removed. If you have a glass boat with a railing, there are several that mount to the rail. If (like me) you have a glass boat with no railing (and don't want to drill holes in the glass), I would suggest you check out http://www.hitekstuff.com/index.html.

I just bought some for my 16' bass boat. The only permanent attachment is an aluminum plate that screws to the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

I like floaters. One off the front corner and one off the back. I try to position them so there is about a 6 foot gap of no light between them because the baitfish get in the light while the big boys hang out on the edge. Patience is the key. It sometimes takes a good while for the fish to show up.

Post Thanks / Like

I use some I got from Walmart. If you look on the hand rail near the stern, you will see some black pucks. These are the rod holder mounts. They just drop and twist in.

Joe

-----------------------------
    Still learning this crappie thing.
    -----------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.. Does anyone use one white light and one green at the same time?

Do you guys use regular tuffy minnows or snag shad and use them?

btw, I have a 17ft bass tracker aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just night fish in the Summer; I use to night fish for bass a lot in the spring, but am getting to old and lazy I guess. In the Summer I do it because it's just o hot to fish in the day time here.

I set up on the edge of a creek always and sometime in the bend of a creek (but not necessary to be in the bend) over a brush pile or sometime no brush pile needed at some of my spots. We have a lot of trees still standing or at least their main trunk to tie to. Set out my 30' long 2" dia. green light and wait for them to show up.

I use a 3 way swivel with a hook for a minnow on a short line and about 18" below that I have a 1/4 oz jig for bait and weight. Most of the bigger fish come on the jig and I fish tight line using Power Pro Hi-Vis Yellow. This is the only time I use minnows at all and sometime you can get a fish on both at the same time.

If I was going to night fish right now I would set up in a area that I know crappie are near and fish for staging fish.

Good Luck!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anyway to setup light for bank fishing at night and will that have much effect on things at this time of the year?

Post Thanks / Like

Skip, interesting rig with the swivel, I've not yet tried that but I think I will next time.
    Polar Kraft 1571 DB
    Mercury 25 hp 4-Stroke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sosowingshooter
    Skip, interesting rig with the swivel, I've not yet tried that but I think I will next time.
    It works very well, but keep in mine you really have to watch because many times when they take the minnow you will see it move to one side or lift up before you feel it, but the jig will definitely get a good thump. I use a 1/4 oz. jig and they take it readily.

Last year I was using 2 main colors doing this and one was my black widow and the other was mean green. Black Widow is black/speckled chenille FL. Yellow & black/ black tail then the other is the same body with a bright green head and FL. chart tail.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast