Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pushing bigger crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing bigger crankbaits

I had decent success on Jordan Lake (NC) Friday pushing some "medium" size Strike King cranks. If I were to put a Bandit 300 or Arkie 350 under a 1 oz weight and pulled 12 feet of line off, how much deeper would the crank run than 12', accounting for the dive factor of the bill?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I push a 1.8 mph using a 3 oz weight 3 ft above my crankbait. This depth chart if figured with the line layed back at a 45 degree angle. Name:  Screenshot_20170624-111052.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  31.8 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nccater View Post
    I had decent success on Jordan Lake (NC) Friday pushing some "medium" size Strike King cranks. If I were to put a Bandit 300 or Arkie 350 under a 1 oz weight and pulled 12 feet of line off, how much deeper would the crank run than 12', accounting for the dive factor of the bill?
    Here is an interesting fact. The weight without the crank bait will run deeper by itself. The crank bait will actually lift the weight to a shallower depth. I haven't completed the study of weight/baits in tow, but this does happen.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Redge, blueball, jordanjones LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nccater View Post
    It wouldn't

For instance ... if your lines were at a 45* angle, your crank would only be about 7' deep on 12ft of line out. (0.6x12=7.2)

To get your crank below 12' deep, you'd have to have almost twice that much line out (while maintaining a speed that kept your lines at a 45* angle).

I don't think the dive factor of the bill adds more than a foot of depth behind the weight .... and some of that depth is reduced if you're counting the length of line from the rod tip to the water in your length calculations.

Line at a 45* angle : multiply the length of line below the water by 0.6 to get the approx. depth of your crank.
    Line at a 25* angle : multiply the length of line below the water by 0.3 to get the approx. depth of your crank.

Post Thanks / Like

Curious about that also, I do the 3 ft leader also and when i push I can see my bait on my sonar but i get two readings, curious if the crank is riding above the weight or diving below. ??????

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ralo79 View Post
    Curious about that also, I do the 3 ft leader also and when i push I can see my bait on my sonar but i get two readings, curious if the crank is riding above the weight or diving below. ??????

It would have to be behind the weight or below it ...
    Likes jordanjones LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ralo79 View Post

Look at the chart I put up....with a 3 ft. Leader your crankbait will be running about a foot lower than your weight....the chart is figured running 3 oz weights.

PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

You need about 17 ft. Of line out to run your crankbait 12 ft. Deep

PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing bigger crankbaits

Thanks G, since I'm pushing the 220's I didn't know it if had enough lip to carry itself below the weight or stay above it since it is a floating bait and only pushing at 1.0-1.4

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Rallo....i still think it will dive and only being 3 ft from weight most any crank will only go down about a foot. I have some smaller cranks but i prefer the 300 size. Main thing is dont run too deep and get them below the fish. I try to stay 2 to 3 ft. Above them....they will come up some to hit a fast running crank....but normally will not go down.

PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes jordanjones LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast