Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Brake question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Brake question

Looking for a little advice since I am not a mechanic. Bought another boat and pulled it home to Ky from Tx. On the way back we came across an accident and it was stop and go for about 45 min. The trailer brakes started squeaking and were really hot. My sense is they got hot, the metal expanded and the brakes started rubbing (lots of dust on the wheels). They finally cooled and quit squeaking and we made it back. Took the boat to wash it and noticed the hubs were really hot again, but not squeaking. I am not sure if it has a bad solenoid, actuator not working right, calipers stuck causing pads to rub or what. Any thoughts?? I don’t have the know how to fix it. Is this a marine mechanic job or should I just take it to a vehicle mechanic that does brakes? Wish I were smart enough to diagnose and fix myself, but my skill set is not mechanical.
    If you were on trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you??

Former Navy Corpsman

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Electric brakes ? Or hydraulic ? If electric maybe you just had them set too tight for slow stop and go conditions.
    Post this over on the mechanics board and someone will help you with it.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G";3642252]Electric brakes ? Or hydraulic ? If electric maybe you just had them set too tight for slow stop and go conditions.
    Post this over on the mechanics board and someone will help you with it.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using [URL="http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936
    Crappie.com Fishing mobile app[/URL]
    i am not sure but guessing electric. They are activated when plug in trailer lights. Its a 5 plug connection. I will try to move post. Thank you kindly G.
    If you were on trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you??

Former Navy Corpsman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KFC View Post
    i am not sure but guessing electric. They are activated when plug in trailer lights. Its a 5 plug connection. I will try to move post. Thank you kindly G.
    Does your truck have a trailer brake controller mounted under the dash? If not, then even if the trailer has electric brakes your truck will not activate them. Hydraulic brakes work when you step on the brakes in your truck, and the trailer slides forward and an actuator applies the brakes of the trailer. Either way if the trailer brakes are set too tight they will be applied just a little all the time. The best bet for finding a repair shop is a camper dealer that does repairs (not all do - some just sell trailers). Big shop in Mayfield, one in Reidland and one in Paducah. There is a huge trailer place in Calvert City also.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Does your truck have a trailer brake controller mounted under the dash? If not, then even if the trailer has electric brakes your truck will not activate them. Hydraulic brakes work when you step on the brakes in your truck, and the trailer slides forward and an actuator applies the brakes of the trailer. Either way if the trailer brakes are set too tight they will be applied just a little all the time. The best bet for finding a repair shop is a camper dealer that does repairs (not all do - some just sell trailers). Big shop in Mayfield, one in Reidland and one in Paducah. There is a huge trailer place in Calvert City also.
    Thank you Clint for your suggestions. I dont have a controller in the cab so I guess hydraulic. They are activated by braking the truck. I bet Youngblood’s in Mayfield would have a shop that does that. I will start calling tomorrow. Hopefully no damage and not too expensive to fix.

Former Navy Corpsman
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazy question, do your brakes apply when you try backing up? Check the coupler and see if the coupler that hooks to ball has a pin inserted into it. That coupler should slide back and forth fairly easily. You have to pin or lock it to back up or it will activate the brakes when you push it back like applying brakes going down the road. There should be a slot in the top of coupler you can insert a large screw driver in to move coupler back into master cylinder. This is normally used for bleeding brakes. If you can find that try to move it back and forth to make sure everything is moving freely. Lots of little things could be going on with your brake system. Assuming disc brakes and yes the calipers could be sticking. Like Clint said, if you don't have the know how a camper place is usually a much better option than most boat dealers or automotive guys.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Your hub bearing wouldn't be hot would they.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

Hub bearings was my thought also, be sure to check them.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take it to a marine mechanic.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also recommend checking your hub bearings. Similar thing happened to me last year pulling boat to Lake Cumberland. When I pulled off the exit to Russell Springs noticed one of my wheels was smoking. My first thought was something happened to the brakes and they got too hot. I pulled off the cap on the wheel cover and found my hub was fried. Mechanic said if I drove another 10-20 miles my whole wheel may have came off! I had to leave my boat and trailer down there 2 weeks until I could get parts from Ranger. Lessoned learned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast