Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slow Trollling with Merc 4-stroke

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slow Trollling with Merc 4-stroke

Planning on buying a boat that has a Mercury 115 hp 4-stroke. I know that salesmen will tell you anything to make a sale.

What I need to know is can you troll with this motor at idle rpm or lowest rpm when in gear for several hours and not harm the motor.

The boat will be a Ranger RT188C.

Thanks
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I troll all day with my 50 Yamaha 4 stroke. You probably need a trolling plate to slow you down but that's no problem.

This is a good one. Spring loaded so when you take off it just folds back and acts like a foil. Only draw back is they back a little different. Just get used to it. I have one made of aluminum and never take it off.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I pull all day with a evinrude bigfoot 60 , 4 stroke . when I put mine in gear it pushes my 18 foot pontoon about 1.5 so normally need just a little boost on the throttle and cruise about 2. to 2.2 and have seen no ill affects on the engine after 3 years of pulling . you having a 115 on a aluminum bass boat I would think trolling plate would be a must or maybe a drift sock ?

keep your lines tight as you never know

Post Thanks / Like

In the beginning I would keep an eye on my oil level on the dipstick. Some 4strokes will "make oil" when they are idled a lot while trolling or if you do a lot of scanning with your electronics.
    I have a 2015 Mercury 115hp and while mine has never had a problem but I've heard of a few that have. I always keep a check on my oil level and take the boat on a good long run to be sure it gets a chance to evaporate any fuel out of the oil if I do a lot of scanning.

Post Thanks / Like

2010 Mercury 115 Four Stroke on a 20' Triton Aluminum boat. The big motor will get me down to 1.8mph trolling into the wind and 2.0-2.2 otherwise. No plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe rider View Post
    In the beginning I would keep an eye on my oil level on the dipstick. Some 4strokes will "make oil" when they are idled a lot while trolling or if you do a lot of scanning with your electronics.
    I have a 2015 Mercury 115hp and while mine has never had a problem but I've heard of a few that have. I always keep a check on my oil level and take the boat on a good long run to be sure it gets a chance to evaporate any fuel out of the oil if I do a lot of scanning.
    this is good advice. Get the smart craft gage set it will give you troll control and other options worth the extra money!

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw
    Likes timd3200 LIKED above post