Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QUestion for the pro's

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default QUestion for the pro's

I'm rather new to this crappie fishing,,,I've only been at it now for around 3-4 seasons and am wondering,,,Is crappie fishing based more on Behavior or Science?
    Just not the same as salt water fishing behavior ..fishing as a young salt water fisherman was always based on tides and yearly fishing times mostly where these pesky crAppie fishing mainly the lakes which have dAms are bAsed seemingly on water temps,water levels and time of year and spawn.... Am I missing something here???? I really would like to up my game and fish more like someone who knows crappie fishing as if I grew up here rather then a guy just lost on the water.... Thanks for any help
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

Post Thanks / Like

Just really wondering what do the pros use for their plan of attack when heading to their waters...Do you use science or behavior more in your attack?
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders

Post Thanks / Like

Come on guys,,,,where's all the seasoned fisherman?
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ain't no "pro" by any stretch of the imagination .... but, what I do is use accumulated info from my experiences, reports from other reputable sources, what I know about the habits of the fish (under the prevailing conditions), and experiment along the way to find new/different ways to fool them into biting my offerings.

The way I see it, "Science" just tells me the why of their "behavior" ... in general. They are the same fish, regardless of what body of water they reside in .... BUT, they can act/react quite differently (at times) in different bodies of water & sometimes even in different parts of the same body of water. And like any sport, you "study & practice" in order to get better productivity from your efforts when you put those efforts to the test.

It's nice to catch a limit, or catch a huge fish (or both) ... but, for me it's not the reason I go ... and if I don't catch anything (or anything worth bringing home), I still had fun & probably learned a little something along the way. And I also honored my Grandparents (my Crappie fishing mentors), my Mother and step-father (avid Crappie anglers), and my late fishing buddy ... by carrying on the tradition.
    Likes stormcloud, crappie curt, Retired2Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Both freshwater and saltwater fish relate to bottom structure. Years ago, the late, great Buck Perry had a successful saltwater trip. When he got back to the dock, he was asked how he did it. He answered, "I caught these fish while fishing for largemouth bass." What he meant was he used the same tactics in saltwater as he did in fresh: he looked for good bottom structure and fished there.

Go and do likewise.

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Time on the water will trump any information you can gather from other sources. Information gathered from other fishermen,
    media, etc should be looked at to see if it works for you. Like I've said many times before. If you roll a wheelbarrow around a
    shed long enough, you will get good at it.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes "G", Retired2Fish, broharrell, ad1974 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Your question is kind of hard to answer. I think it takes a combination of the 2. The biggest thing to me is ( like Stormcloud said) it takes experience= time on the water. You need to take information you can glean from here pick a tecneque that seems to be working for others at the time. Set up for that and fish it until you are pretty proficient at it. Time on the water will eventually lead you to patterns at different times of year, different conditions and things like that. Like right now we are faced with higher than usual water levels for this time of year, higher air/water temps than normal for this time of year plus more current being drawn than normal for this time of year. So then you have to ask yourself where would they normally be this time of year and in that area you have to ask your self where would they go with the extended range they now have. Then what would be best way to attack them. Experience, Experiance.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a pro but I always fish structure of some sort . They usually favor a certain depth on each water body and season. At times they hold tight and other times they will just be around it . Water clarity , sunlight , barometric pressure and water temps can greatly effect how they position on structure .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The best three pieces of advice that I could pass along are 1) time on the water, period. One must put themselves in almost any situation of varying degree including time of year, and environment. These experiences are what leads to this... 2) keep a log of every trip on the water. Log weather changes and events, lake levels and stages, environmental events and changes like rivers flooding, or bad droughts, or unseasonable conditions outside of the norm. Once you gather a few years worth you will really begin to see patterns, everything from habits to seasonal techniques or colors, and it gets even more detailed!
    Put in your log for a trip what the weather did, low/high water and air temps, water clarity, best baits, locations or certain GPS numbers, we're they relating to stakebeds or brush better, or were they suspended high or low in the water column. Notate the barometric pressure and moon phase, how others were doing, of course what the wind did, directions, and anything else.
    And number 3) always listen to the fish! Regardless of what they "should be doing", always always listen to the fish!
    So, time on the water gives you experience, then you log the experiences which in turn gives you knowledge, if you use it correctly.
    And if you learn to listen to the fish you should become a better fisherman.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Likes Retired2Fish, ad1974 LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet another vote for time on the water and experience. No better teacher. I will say that listening and learning from others, in person or magazine or you tube, and gathering what works for you and forming your own style of fishing that works for you on the waters you fish. Living in FL and reading about fishing in Minnesota may seem totally useless. To expect the same results the guys writing the article in a state that's hundreds of miles away may not be realistic, but I'll bet that there's parts of his technique that will apply to where you do fish. Canepole posted a chart a couple of years back that gave a general idea to where the fish would be in the water column at a given water temp. He doesn't live far from you. Lots of ways to chase these fish and some may not appeal to you at all. Finding what you like and NOT getting in a hurry or impatient will halp you enjoy the learning curve. I will also say that I learn more when I fish alone without distraction and other peoples input. Thought processes are somewhat clearer and you may remember a few things that you wanted to try instead of talking fooball or whatever (not mis spelled) . Find what you like, figure out where it seems to work best, and expand on it a little at a time. Take someone along and maybe get some input you can apply from them, and maybe later go with others and see what they do and ask why. That will help shorten the learning curve and go a long way towards building one of the most important thing that I enjoy.....new friends. Enjoy and keep us posted, we all learn from one another......Skeet
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes ad1974 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast