Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 5/24/18

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 5/24/18

Again, it's been too long since Walt & I wet a line. Today was "THE" day however. We launched and started fishing around 7:45 am this morning. Air temp was only 50 degrees! Shiver me timbers! I wasn't really dressed for it, but the weather folks said it was going to get up to 77 today, so I said what the heck, I'll stick it out and just took the wind breaker. Water temp was 65 degrees and the winds were dead calm.

By 8:15 "Mother Nature" decided to have some fun with us. Winds kicked up big time. Starting at about 10 mph and going up to 20, with higher gusts. Didn't need the side pulling TM at all today. We relied upon this wind to drift our jigs.

Walt started out kicking their behinds with multiple catches and a couple of doubles. Me....nada! Here are a couple of his catches:

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  130.0 KB

Name:  Walt_2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  182.7 KB

Right after these were taken (around 8:45 am), my tried & true, 'ole' faithful camera decided that it did not want to work anymore!! Ugh! Changed batteries....still nothing. Would not even turn on! Got home....got it back to 'room temp' and it started just fine. Lesson learned.

Anyway....that's not the end of the story. After eating a sandwich and regathering my composure, I started to clock 'em as well. I owe it all to my trusty horse head custom ties by skiptomylu here on Crappie.com. They couldn't stay off these marabou horse head jigs. One after the other. Great lures! I designate them my "fail safe".

Walt's producers included the straight tailed plastics as well as the Slider Grubs. Mine were the RR ties and the straight tails. I even tried crank baits, but nothing was interested. We closed out the day at about 1:45 am - 5 hours of fishing. We caught & released 27 fish, all crappie except for 3 gills and one ornery pickeral. Not a terrible day, but not one of our better days.

We saw 3 bald eagles today on the res.....no turkeys this trip and no grizzly bears either! Good day to be alive. When we got back to the city, there wasn't a zephyr of wind. Dead calm & hot. Go figure!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report....glad you guys got to go
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Great report and pics. ThAnks for sharing. Skip does good work. I still got a couple of his hugs from when I met him at LA camp a few years ago.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post