HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Small Pond Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small Pond Question

My family has a small pond. Maybe 1 acre 1/2. It is full of huge bluegill and they are currently on beds. My question is probably a question that has been asked on here once before. I apologize if so! However, I am looking at going out there to fish for these bluegill over the weekend. The pond is fed from a narrow but deep ditch and when it floods it naturally stocks the pond. I’m sure this ditch does run along some farm land and agriculture at some point but for the most part in this area where the pond is there are tons of CPR fields and mainly free range cattle roaming around. Do you guys think it would be safe to eat some of these fish? I might add he does feed the pond which fresh oxygen. Any advice would be great!

Post Thanks / Like

The way I look at it if the fish ain't sick or dead they should not hurt you. I have eat fish out of farm ponds all my life and I am still around to tell it.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes need2befishin, P16209 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I been eating them out of farm ponds all my life
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

most likely ok. the smaller 8" gills eat a lot better than the 10+"ers. the big old ones seem gray and mealy.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a .75ac pond that has loads of big shellcracker in it. We eat those quite often and have never had a problem. As others have said, if they are swimming around and appear normal, they are in the "eat" column.
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The fish should be fine to eat, but you could always contact a biologist to be certain.

Quick side note - this website might not be the best place to ask questions regarding "pond-fishing". Seems many on this site LOOK DOWN at "pond anglers". Ironically, many of the same folks seem to be frequently LOOKING DOWN at their $1,000 Humminbird super-ultra-scan-fish-locators. I'm all for Pond Fishing & Super-Hummingbirds! Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNReb58 View Post
    The fish should be fine to eat, but you could always contact a biologist to be certain.

Quick side note - this website might not be the best place to ask questions regarding "pond-fishing". Seems many on this site LOOK DOWN at "pond anglers". Ironically, many of the same folks seem to be frequently LOOKING DOWN at their $1,000 Humminbird super-ultra-scan-fish-locators. I'm all for Pond Fishing & Super-Hummingbirds! Lol.
    Fishin' is fishin'. It's all good. Lets not start this conversation about what kinda fishin' is better than other kinds cause it's all good. LEts not get off track. And getting back on track, I agree with most everyone else here, if the fish are healthy, they are prolly just fine to eat.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes Crestliner08, scrat LIKED above post
    Thanks "G", wannabe fisherman thanked you for this post