HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pushing cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing cranks

I'm wondering what kind of rig and how to push crankbaits. Have been pulling for several years and am looking to learn some new techniques. Any help would be appreciated.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The search feature brought up this page....click and take a look a good many threads on the subject are scattered around in the listing. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/searc...rchid=23873875
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

"G" cannot get that link to open.
    LittleJohn

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

John it opens for me on my phone and on computer too. Try this On main forum... upper right click on search this forum....then type in pushing cranks...then select threads...then hit search.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

OK....Here is how I do it....I use a 3 oz. trolling weight. ScottV on the MS board makes some good ones, thats where I get mine. You can also get them from Grizzly Jig or Bass Pro Shops. I run the 3 oz. weight 3 feet above my crank bait. Depth is controled by the weight. I set the speed where the line does not lay back over 45 degrees. Here is a depth chart for pushing to figure your depth....the depth is controlled by the weight. Name:  Screenshot_2015-05-30-08-04-55_resized.png
Views: 597
Size:  128.4 KB
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes crp4570, Iukadeer71, rcornish LIKED above post
    Thanks callmecamo, Tom 513 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use BnM PST's 14 and 12 footers for this.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I Push jigs/cranks (but mostly jigs) .... using two to three 14' rods & a third and/or fourth rod of 6-10' in length. I've used as small as 1/2oz weight & as high as a 1.5oz weight. I run a 12v TM at up to 1mph. I have two Hi-tek 4rod rod holders that I can mount at the bow. Here's a sample pic of my setup :

I don't Push cranks on every lake I fish, so I haven't invested in upgrading the equipment I already have & use ... I just adapted my Pushing technique to get the most out of what I do have, currently.

Most crank Pushers that I know are using 2oz weights, 24v TM's running at ~1.8mph ... many use 14-16' rods, some with line counter reels & others with just baitcast reels w/thumbars. Their main lines are anywhere from 10# test mono to 30# test braid ... with a 5' leader line of 6# test mono. Depending on which type of weights being used, they may be on or attached to the main line & then the leader attached to them (or a clip or swivel on the end of the main line). Some use clips on the leader for attaching the crank, others use swivels.

There's really no hard/fast rules on how to Push cranks IMHO. The whole point is to rig them up in such a way that you can "know" & "control" their depth by how much weight is used, length of line out, & at what speed is needed to maximize productivity. There are several "depth charts" that show how deep a crank (of a specific brand or style) will run ... with a specific weight & speed & length of line out.
    Likes rcornish LIKED above post
    Thanks Redge, Troy75 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to try cranks.....a lot of us just used our old bass rods to see if we liked it....pull two straight out the back an 2 more one out each side.....or you can try pushing with them too. Then if you like it you can get long poles and line counter reels later. Thats what I did anyway. The longest thread on C.C is over on the MS board....its a sticky up near the top....title is...pulling crankbaits 101....lots of reading and lots of info on it. Or just click here.... Pulling Cranks 101

PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes 1187mg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Pushing depth is controlled by the weight

Pulling depth is controlled by length of line out measured from where line enters the water.
    No weight needed for pulling unless you want to reduce length of line out.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Pushing works better in smaller bodies of water where you do not have room to make long sweeping turns with the boat.

PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast