Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice for boat and getting started

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seeking advice for boat and getting started

Thanks for taking a look at this thread I posted on this same topic over in the North Carolina section of this forum but figured I'd post here and see what kind of information came back as well. I am looking for advice and input on boats and getting started to Crappie fish. Our family boat is a pontoon and we love it but I'm wanting to get something small that I can easily manage by myself in the water and launching and loading. I've had my eye on some aluminum boats, likely a 16' boat with a small tiller motor. Honestly I'd be fine with a 25hp. I don't plan on running from one end of the lake to the other and don't plan to do any kind of trounement fishing. Just looking for something small and easy to operate. A good trolling motor and Sonar are both a must. What do I need to look for or stay away from? I've fished with a friend who had a 25hp motor on a smaller boat and I honestly felt like it was plenty for us to run around in but I have another friend who says he likes more motor. In a boat this size I am leaning towards tiller steer to save room that the console would take up.

Once I've got the boat I'll be drooling to put some fish in it. Likely will be fishing the Yadkin lakes. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the most productive and best ways to learn how to catch crappie for someone farily new into the game. Of course nothing will beat getting on the water and fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

They are dozens of aluminum boat manufacturers that make a good product.

A 14-16' Semi-V with a 25-30hp tiller is a great do-all IMO. Will still take some waves without giving you a shower, and they still retain a lot of stability due to the flat stern. The wider the better, I would not go any narrower than 48".

I have a 14' Alumacraft F7 Semi-V with a Johnson 25hp. It will do 29 mph loaded and hop on plane in a second. Easy to load/unload, easy on fuel, will handle some pretty rough water if you can hang on, and it's very stable.
    Likes Crestliner08, Dollfly LIKED above post

Javelin 180 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't seen one look at a stick steer boat most are around 16' I personally don't own one I can see one in my future when I get a little older but seems like everybody that owns one loves it just might be something you would want to look at.
    Likes Brimfisher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest thing is finding a boat that will work for the type of fishing you plan on doing. Will you be spider rigging, long lining, pulling cranks, or just going around casting? If you plan on spider rigging I would say get something that can handle a little bit of rough water, something with a mod v hull. Flat bottom boats will work but they bounce alot more when spider rigging. I started out in a 1436 flat bottom jon with a 25hp, still have it and love it but when the crappie are out deep and I have to troll, I have now a tracker 175 with a 60hp. Only weird thing is the tracker will only run 3mph faster than my jon so its not about speed its about comfort.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran a 15' Monark boat for 3 yrs. It was my first boat that I purchased. It was a semi v bottom 42" at the top beam. To me it was too narrow and it wobbled side to side alot easpecially if it was windy. Like another said, no narrower than 48" for stability. I tightlined stumps and also fished deep in the winter out of that boat and enjoyed the fish I caught. Whatever you decide on I wish you the best.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be afraid to fish from a small flat bottom unless you are going to run the big lakes. I have caught more fish from my 14' Duracraft with a 15hp than I will ever catch from my 175 Tracker. At my age the bigger boat is just more comfortable.

Brimfisher is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish from a Monarch stick steer, and I love it. With the bow mount foot control trolling motor, I shoot docks pretty easily, and I'm set up to pull from up front. Like Stovall said it is a bit narrow.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Create Memories Worth Repeating, Go Fishing With Your Dad.
    www.brimfisherjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

For what you describe, something along this line would fit well.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/alu...dCatid=1272704

Most boat companies have a similar model. I had a G3 1448lw riveted boat and fished 2 people all the time. With a 25 Merc it would run 27 fishing ready and packed livewell.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A 16' wide V-hull with that 25 HP tiller will serve you very well. It's adaptable to many types of presentations and techniques. If you elect to go to a flat bottom design, be aware, that even with that smaller 25 hp engine, you will get wet, steering from the stern. Just the nature of the beast. This is why I prefer a V-hull. Much dryer ride in adverse water conditions. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Had one and loved it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin 180 View Post
    If you haven't seen one look at a stick steer boat most are around 16' I personally don't own one I can see one in my future when I get a little older but seems like everybody that owns one loves it just might be something you would want to look at.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast