Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't take your crappie fishing for granted

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't take your crappie fishing for granted

This past week I was at a sports show in Washington state. I had a nice display with some mounted slabs and plenty of pictures. My booth got alot of interest as those folks are starved for crappie fishing. The story I heard over and over was that we used to have those around here and now they are gone. Several lakes were mentioned that once had great fishing for slabs. It sounded better than what I had to offer them. But every story ended the same.They are gone. Or,we catch a big one once in awhile but nothing like it used to be. I would ask what happened and the most common guesses were the introduction of walleyes,over-harvest and the volcanic ash from the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. But the bottom line is they really had no answer. It seems some of the fisheries are coming back due to very tight limits (5 fish)
    So enjoy what you have. Never can tell when forces beyond our control will take it away.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the lakes here in washington seem to flux a lot. it is sad, but i would have to say that most of the problem is over fishing and people taking home more than their limit. I tend to realese most of any fish I catch but a few do stay in the livewell. but I am one to talk i have been known to break the rod limit (one) and go to, two rods. but it is just to catch the fish they do get realesed but it is still wrong. Bad Ian, bad.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon slabman
    This past week I was at a sports show in Washington state. I had a nice display with some mounted slabs and plenty of pictures. My booth got alot of interest as those folks are starved for crappie fishing. The story I heard over and over was that we used to have those around here and now they are gone. Several lakes were mentioned that once had great fishing for slabs. It sounded better than what I had to offer them. But every story ended the same.They are gone. Or,we catch a big one once in awhile but nothing like it used to be. I would ask what happened and the most common guesses were the introduction of walleyes,over-harvest and the volcanic ash from the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. But the bottom line is they really had no answer. It seems some of the fisheries are coming back due to very tight limits (5 fish)
    So enjoy what you have. Never can tell when forces beyond our control will take it away.
    Think of that as you're filleting your "couple of thousand fish a year".
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thats The Good Thing About Limits And Minimum Lengths!!!we 've Got Em Both Here On Dale Hollow
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I consider myself very lucky when it comes to having access to a lake with lots of crappie. Just about 10minute drive from my house the State opened up a new Fish and Wildlife area that covers about 2,500 acres in all. I can drive over there and see hawks, beavers, deer, racoons, muskrats and all other forms of midwestern wildlife. Seasonally we get lots of Geese and Ducks as well. Many people are able to use the wildlife area and that is a great thing. Being raised in the city and then out in the burbs I enjoy getting away from the streetlights, noise and enjoying the solitude of nature. The crappie are not huge but they are many. I thank god everyday for this new area that has been put at my back door. Yea I wish it was KY lake but I am glad that I have what they gave us. I went to college with one if the guys responsible for making this possible. It's people like him that give us these State own public lands and lakes to recreate in.

If I had walleye in the lake that I fished I would targeting them guys. They are one great eating fish and lots of fun to catch. Just don't stick your fingers inside their mouths. They have nice big sharp teeth. Been bit by one before and it hurt.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Louisiana we have some lakes that have creel limits and size imits on them. It is a good thing to have in alot of lakes. The biggest problem I see is that in most cases they wait to long before they either put a creel limit or size limit on a body of water. People just don't realize sometimes that things have to be managed better for the future. I have heard it over and over agian (There's no fish in this lake and so on). Our lakes and bodies of water are like gold mines. You keep mining (taking out) them faster than it can be replendished and this is what you come out with - very few fish or only very small fish. Just this past weekend I had an encounter with someone over that exact thing. I was catching quite a few small fish (8 - 11 in) and was throwing them back. The fellow ask me why I was not keeping them and I told him I only wanted to keep quaility fish. He said well if I didn't want them that he would take them. I said no I'd rather let it grow some more and hopefull catch it in other year when it was bigger. He got pretty disgusted to say the least. But, that is the reason some places end up the way they are, over fished and with no management. Well, good luck on getting the fish numbers back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Think of that as you're filleting your "couple of thousand fish a year".

Last year I took over 300 fishermen in my boat. If they need or want there fish filleted I do it for them. I never said they were "my"fish.You do the math.

Brownlee Charters
    www.pinetel.com/~fishbrownlee

Post Thanks / Like

Moose when I was reading your post it reminded me of one time when on this lake that I fish maybe 3 to 4 times a year it is right inside the the city limits of a tourist town, this town has tons of deer when fishing you cans 50 plus deer right on the shore. BUt last year i was casting to the shore for bass and hapened to look up on a cast to notice a little black bear watch in me. It was just a strange sight, niver knew they were even down there.

Post Thanks / Like

oregon slabman are you going to be at the show in washington this week?
    If so I will look for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee King
    oregon slabman are you going to be at the show in washington this week?
    If so I will look for you.

I won't be at Puyallup but I will be in Yakima Feb.4-6 & Portland Feb 9-13. Be sure and stop by if you are at these shows.

Wildlife sure does add to a fishing trip. We also saw a bear .It was swimming the Snake River going from Oregon to Idaho. We have spotted elk,mule deer,antelope,otters,beaver, eagles and lots of chukar partridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast