Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Which method is better?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which method is better?

About two weeks ago I was in my boat fishing the dam, along with 4/5 other boats probably. The method I used which produced about 40 fish, 30 keepers was going down the bank in shallow water with a pole in each hand with two jigs tied on each line. One pole was 10 ft long and the other 6 ft, and surpsignly enough the 6 ft one did better which I’m sure was mainly due to the jig color.

I went a week after my first trip, only boat there and brought home 19 keepers, this time with the fish wanting the jig color on the 10 ft pole.

What I’m wondering is, did I fish the right way, going on speed 1, holding my poles still or should I have slipped corked and anchored out? There wasn’t any specific spot they were holding either day, just near the rocks for the spawn up and down the dam. I’ve never slipped corked, so I wasn’t sure when one method would out do the other method.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

On one of my favorite lakes the crappie spawn on rip rap. The funny thing is sometimes those fish are 2ft from the bank. The best way to catch them is to use a small floating Rapala minnow bait and work it parallel to the bank. I can't use a slip cork but most of those fish are in 18 inches of water. When fishing deeper rip rap I use a slip cork and a tiny zoom fluke. I think any bait will work but you have to keep moving.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is one of the many challenges of fishing. Finding out what they want and how they want it. Problem is that can change very fast.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes Crestliner08, silverside LIKED above post

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn't do anything wrong. You caught fish both days. When you don't catch fish is when you look for other ways to catch
    them. The only thing I would have changed is I would have changed the slack pole to the jigs they were liking that day.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes silverside LIKED above post