HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to spider rig & when to longline?

Post Thanks / Like

Default When to spider rig & when to longline?

Or maybe when not to spider rig & or longline?

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know either tactic can be used 365 days a year and be productive, depending on the waters you fish one might be slightly more productive then the other at times.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre-spawn the fish school out from the spawning beds. After they spawn they scatter. When they are schooling, you will catch
    more spider rigging. Usually fishing 4 tenths MPH give or take. When they scatter you have better odds long lining because
    you will be fishing 8 tenths MPH give or take. So you will be covering twice as much water. They will stay scattered until the
    first cold spell in the fall then start schooling again. Time to go back to spider rigging.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Thanks captdave, tlefire, Conrod thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have spider rigging rods that look brand new. You can long line all year. Post spawn they hug tight to cover, so numbers will be there, so I'd rather vertical jig. Either tactic works most times.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I could really use some help on how to longline

Post Thanks / Like

The times I like to Spider rigging is when the fish is deeper,colder water, when fishing a small area where you cannot makes your turn a rounds and when fishing over certain brush piles or other structure. Now saying all of this I do the long lining whenever I can per fer it better. Cover more water,when the crappie are suspended and when they are on the move. Wish I could long line every time. Just have to do what you can do.
    LittleJohn

Quailtail is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the difference between spider rigging and long lining?
    Thanks Conrod thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Spider Rigging your baits are out in front of trolling motor. You got to used some weight on line to try keep your bait a vertical presentation. Your speed around .3 to .6 mph. Can go more faster with extra amount of weight. Long lining you have more line out may it be back of the boat or off the sides. There is no weight used most of the times depth is control by the length of line out and the weight of jig or jigs. Can trolled faster I usually start around .8 and increase speed if needed. This method can cover lot more of the water and lot faster. If I have got the depth i like to trolled double jigs on 8 rods this will give the fish 16 different colors to pick from.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

Spider rigging is usually several rods out the front of the boat in rod holders and you are moving from .2 to .6 mph with about .5 oz weights. Long lining is usually several rods with one or two jigs on the line and you cast out from 10 to 30 yards and moving from about .6 to 1.2 mph usually without extra weights on the line. Now there is another set up not mentioned here. One that I use quite often. I call it pushing jigs. I will use 1 to 2 oz weights with 2 jigs and travel at longlining speeds. So you are fishing out the front of the boat and traveling at longlining speeds.
    Mike Barnett

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quailtail View Post
    What is the difference between spider rigging and long lining?
    Basically, Spider Rigging is done out the front & Long Line Trolling is done out the back and/or sides. When Spider Rigging you want your lines to be straight down from the rod tip (or as close as possible) ... When Long Line Trolling your lines are way behind the boat and at a sharp angle (depending on speed & weight). You generally have to set the hook, yourself, when the bite occurs during Spider Rigging ... the boat speed when Long Line Trolling does most of the hook setting for you, but it's always prudent to sweep the rod forward to insure that the hook is firmly buried and compensate for any rod bend & line stretch.

Pushing is "set up" like Spider Rigging, but done at Long Line speeds (or greater) and generally with heavier weights than either of those two techniques.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast