HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shallow water

Post Thanks / Like

Default shallow water

hey guys it is your friendly neighborhood rooky here just a quick question. Do you think that sonar spooks fish and if so how shallow or close can you get ?

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished 1.5 fow right under the trollin motor. I caught fish, lot of folks turn them off.

Post Thanks / Like

If two people fish the same lake for a year. One pays no attention to how far away from the fish he is under any conditions. And pays no attention to how quiet he is or employs any stealth under any conditions.

The other does pay attention and alters his fishing methods for conditions.

How many more fish will the guy catch who takes some care about his approach ?

BIGBADDAD is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a Laurel and Hardy bit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    If two people fish the same lake for a year. One pays no attention to how far away from the fish he is under any conditions. And pays no attention to how quiet he is or employs any stealth under any conditions.

The other does pay attention and alters his fishing methods for conditions.

How many more fish will the guy catch who takes some care about his approach ?
    http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/BIGBADDAD/birdpooavatar.gif

www.kicknbass.net

Arkie Jigs Prostaff
    Todd Huckabee Rods Prostaff
    HiTec Outdoors Prostaff
    ESB Prostaff
    SteelShad Prostaff
    Jenko Fishing Prostaff

Post Thanks / Like

Just trying to get some thinking going. I did not answer the man's question directly...partly because I think it is something you need to experiment with yourself under varying conditions to find the answer for you. The best way is to experiment.

I was catching crappie and bluegill on their beds the other day. Water was pretty heavily stained , but I could see the dark areas of the depressions clearly. I could catch one on every cast pretty much.....unless I moved the boat closer than about 30 ft. They also did not bite well if I had the trolling motor on.

I was in a small bay late in the evening when some bass and crappie pushed a school of shad in and started feeding on them. Water was 2 to 5 ft deep. I could not get them to bite hardly...just wanted to nip it . I tried 6 or 7 different jig combinations and just hook the occasional one. Finally shut everything down and made like a hole in the water. Just sit there luckily the wind had laid and wasn't pushing into the bank. Finally the fish started to take it and I wore on them pretty good for the next 10 minutes until the frenzy was over.

I set up over a brush pile that was 8 ft deep and tried to catch some crappie that where clearly on the screen. Until I moved off the brush and cast back over it from about 40 ft away I could not get them to bite.

Sooo...the moral of this story is....go fishing and experiment. And never think that this or that never matters...cause it does matter sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't tell the other side of the story...

I found a bunch of fish on a hump off a point...mostly rock bottom but a couple brush piles close too. The wind was lightly blowing and I was just using the trolling motor to move around and cast from different angles. The fish were going crazy and I was catching one on about every cast. I had a bag of pork rinds open and occasionally as I neared the end of my retrieve and I knew I had it where it would not touch the bottom I would just stop reeling and let it hang there and grab a bite. Well....about everytime a crappie would grab it.

Right under the boat,sonar pinging away on a rock bottom, hitting the troller occasional to hold me, roadrunner head with curly tail jig just hanging there 4 ft under the boat.

I think it was a day in March I was casting to some crappie on a flat off a point...they were so aggressive I swear a couple of them actually grabbed the jig just as it cleared the water on the end of the retrieve. That's right....I said the fish actually came out of the water to grab the jig just as it was at the surface or just an inch or two off the water. Two sonars pinging away,radio playing rock classics. Not the only time I have seen that.

Only the fish no for sure why it matters sometimes. But my best guess...they are like women. No I didn't say that.
    Likes GREENFISH LIKED above post
    Thanks preacherman316 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    I didn't tell the other side of the story...

I found a bunch of fish on a hump off a point...mostly rock bottom but a couple brush piles close too. The wind was lightly blowing and I was just using the trolling motor to move around and cast from different angles. The fish were going crazy and I was catching one on about every cast. I had a bag of pork rinds open and occasionally as I neared the end of my retrieve and I knew I had it where it would not touch the bottom I would just stop reeling and let it hang there and grab a bite. Well....about everytime a crappie would grab it.

Right under the boat,sonar pinging away on a rock bottom, hitting the troller occasional to hold me, roadrunner head with curly tail jig just hanging there 4 ft under the boat.

I think it was a day in March I was casting to some crappie on a flat off a point...they were so aggressive I swear a couple of them actually grabbed the jig just as it cleared the water on the end of the retrieve. That's right....I said the fish actually came out of the water to grab the jig just as it was at the surface or just an inch or two off the water. Two sonars pinging away,radio playing rock classics. Not the only time I have seen that.

Only the fish no for sure why it matters sometimes. But my best guess...they are like women. No I didn't say that.
    Thanks everyone have given me some food for thought I will take it into consideration and experiment

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

slabeye is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Like t. slabseeker said I fish a lot in less than 2 fow and I never turn my sonar off. But I never stop and I always use 16ft poles so I am fishing about 12 foot in front of the boat....
    https://Slabanatorjigs.com/
    AND Slab-A-nator crappie jigs on facebook
    CRAPPIE USA CLASSIC WINNER 2018
    Likes 1187mg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A loud minnow bucket pump will scare them away!

Post Thanks / Like

You know what will scare them out quicker than anything???? SHADOW. When I fish a brush pile or the bank I position my boat to where it don't cast a shadow over it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast