PDA

View Full Version : Another pix of the possible new world record

tenncrappie
05-17-2018, 04:54 AM

Sent from my E6782 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Ketchn
05-17-2018, 05:33 AM
aint that a whale or what .....KABOOM

ET Fish
05-17-2018, 07:32 AM
Traffic is bumper to bumper heading to Pennsylvania, as word is out that this monster was caught in a pond in Philadelphia!:Rofl

"G"
05-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Yep so far i have seen it posted with 5 different states

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Northforker
05-17-2018, 09:40 AM
Philadelphia, TN

CrappiePappy
05-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Yep so far i have seen it posted with 5 different states

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Haven't seen 5 different "states" listed ....

All I've seen on "where" it was caught was a pond in Paint Rock, Tenn. (And the "official" TWRA weight was 5lbs 4.6oz )

ET Fish
05-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Philadelphia, TN
Oh, I am very familiar with Philadelphia, TN. That was my weak attempt at a joke. Iíve done a lot of dove hunting in Philadelphia, TN. Me and about 500 of my closest friends!

"G"
05-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Haven't seen 5 different "states" listed ....

All I've seen on "where" it was caught was a pond in Paint Rock, Tenn. (And the "official" TWRA weight was 5lbs 4.6oz )
Ok...good deal then

Bluesraider
05-17-2018, 10:57 AM
That is one heck of a catch!! I may be alone on this one, but I do wish they would have separate records for pond caught fish as opposed to larger bodies of water.

"G"
05-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Nothing posted yet on TWRA website

CrappiePappy
05-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Nothing posted yet on TWRA website

Probably won't be until they get it tested for correct species ID.

Here's the quote from the article I got my info from :

"Fishing on a local pond in Paint Rock, Tenn. late on the evening of May 15, 2018, angler Jam Ferguson landed the fish of a lifetime when he caught a 5-pound, 4.6-ounce black crappie. The fish was weighed on TN Toad Scales that night, and the scales were later certified and the fish reweighed on May 16, 2018 by TWRA officials. Pending a DNA test, it should be the official new Tennessee state record black crappie, eclipsing the former record of 4 pounds, 4 ounces set back in 1985."

Lonnie84
05-17-2018, 02:43 PM
That is one heck of a catch!! I may be alone on this one, but I do wish they would have separate records for pond caught fish as opposed to larger bodies of water.

No your not alone; here in Oklahoma we have ten state records which came from "private" farm ponds including both of our white and black crappie state records. A few years ago since it is unlikely that those records would ever be broken from a public fishery the state started what is called "Lake Records" so now each individual lake that is under ODWC keeps an individual record. So now for those who have an interest in records has a chance to set or break a record.

Lonnie84
05-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Below are the pictures and stats from the Oklahoma ODWC state records page, it looks like the "Black" crappie is really a white and the "White" looks more like a black to me; plus the black crappie measures larger but is smaller in weight, of course counting the spines tell a better truth than just looking at color patterns.

Black Crappie - Lbs. 4-10, Length 20, Girth 17 3/4, Date 6/16/1974.
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/recordfish/bcrappie.jpg
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/recordfish/bcrappie.jpg

White Crappie - Lbs. 4-15, Length 19, Girth 16 1/4, Date 5/4/1991.
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/recordfish/wcrappie.jpg
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/recordfish/wcrappie.jpg

river scum
05-19-2018, 08:28 AM
id have to agree with ya on that, but hard to tell from pics like u say.

Gomer Snerd
05-19-2018, 09:40 AM
the mounted fish could be either. The taxidermist painted it as a white. The other sure looks like a black.

Grainraiser
05-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Was that Tennessee fish caught from a public or private pond.

eagle 1
05-19-2018, 01:37 PM

Having to have a standard for every species of fish in a variety of lake sizes would be tough . How about red ear in a farm pond vs reservoirs ? 200 acre state lake vs 300 acre state lake . Private/public I could see but even then would private lakes be eligible for world records ? kind of like corn fed high fence deer hunting . :dono

"G"
05-19-2018, 02:20 PM
Its seems to me like records should be from Public waters.....kinda like natural grown instead of farm fed.

INDyak
05-19-2018, 02:37 PM
I may be in the minority but Idc if it came from a pond or a 5000 ac lake. I would be absolutely ecstatic. As I'm sure he is, I hope he gets the record. Not all ponds are stocked or fed. But most large bodies are stocked yearly so how is it any different?

FIN
05-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Fish don't look natural:yikes IDC if caught on a private pond of public impoundment.
I've caught a huge black crappie "4#" on a public lake. Caught it on a 12" black plastic worm while bass fishing. It has a lot to do with what kind and how much food is available. He was probably bass or cat fishing with night crawlers or crawfish.

Bluesraider
05-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Maybe....but like G mentioned, you could start by making it to where it must be caught from a public waterway. With technology and everything else at people's disposal I could easily see someone work at "growing" fish in their private ponds just to continue raising the record weights. I personally don't view that the same as "Joe Fisherman" out and catching it on a public lake that everyone has the opportunity to fish. That may sound a little far fetched but with the "win at all costs...I have to be first" attitude these days I don't think it's too crazy to think someone who could care less about fishing "catching" one in his/her own pond.

I am truly not trying to take anything away from the catch because I would love to have hooked up to that monster too but just personally have a hard time with the way fish records are held.

Having to have a standard for every species of fish in a variety of lake sizes would be tough . How about red ear in a farm pond vs reservoirs ? 200 acre state lake vs 300 acre state lake . Private/public I could see but even then would private lakes be eligible for world records ? kind of like corn fed high fence deer hunting . :dono

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Abu65
05-19-2018, 05:26 PM
I see no issue with it. Heck of a nice fish.

wannabe fisherman
05-20-2018, 05:25 AM
I see no issue with it. Heck of a nice fish.

can you go there to fish?? I think not so it's not exactly fair to people that don't have farm ponds or friends that have them. Yes a very nice fish, but only a few even had a chance to catch it.

INDyak
05-20-2018, 07:31 AM
can you go there to fish?? I think not so it's not exactly fair to people that don't have farm ponds or friends that have them. Yes a very nice fish, but only a few even had a chance to catch it.

Then under the same notion I dont have a large boat to fish the larger bodies of water so that's no fair to me if it were to come out of a large body of water. NOT. Just let the dude have his win, I mean it's a 5lb crappie. I won too bc I now know for a fact crappie apparently can grow that proportion.

Bluesraider
05-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Then under the same notion I dont have a large boat to fish the larger bodies of water so that's no fair to me if it were to come out of a large body of water. NOT. Just let the dude have his win, I mean it's a 5lb crappie. I won too bc I now know for a fact crappie apparently can grow that proportion.

Not trying to take the guys "win" here but still believe there should be 2 different categories and as I have said before that is just a personal opinion. But to me your analogy of not having a big enough boat really doesn't apply to this situation.....regardless of the boat, you still have the freedom to go fish any public lake you wish to, whether it be from the bank or like me in my 16 ft. War Eagle..I have to pick and choose the days I fish the Big 4 due to wind, etc. But 99.9% of us out there would not have access to fish this pond he caught it in or in the other 6 private ponds that currently hold state records. And truth be told I bet if any of you currently held the state record and caught it from a public waterway, I would venture to guess you might be a bit miffed if some guy who raised monster fish in his personal pond broke that record you would feel a bit different....but maybe not. As I said from my first post, this was my opinion on how the records are designated.

Abu65
05-20-2018, 05:50 PM

I'm not sure if I can or not! I have several farm ponds I can fish in. I don't know which one he caught it out of. The owner of the pond, if it's not him, let him fish. Maybe he would let you and I fish. We could take a picnic and have a nice time. I know I have to buy my state fishing license and abide by my state rules when I'm fishing farm ponds. So if the state controls me at that level I should be included in there game. I hunt private land for deer should the record books only be for people that hunt public? I know a lot of people that feed corn and raise food plots to hold trophy deer on there property. Your not allowed to do that on public land.

INDyak
05-20-2018, 09:26 PM
Imo theres lots of variables from state to state. I can only run 3 poles total. I wouldn't be upset if someone gets a world record by spider rigging with 8 poles. Just dont see why it's an issue. And why does everyone keep saying he raised and fed this fish. Does anyone know this or is it an assumption?

ET Fish
05-21-2018, 07:05 AM
Well, I have the advantage of seeing him interviewed on local news. He doesn’t own the pond. He also ain’t telling where the pond is. He asked the owner of the pond what he should do, concerning making the catch “public”. Fair? Not fair? I don’t have an opinion, at least that I will publicly share. However, it’s a heck of a fish! Oh, and he was a tremendous defensive back in high school! He holds, or held the state record for interceptions. I’ve put out a request for him to purchase a lottery ticket for me! :biggrin

Grainraiser
05-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Imo theres lots of variables from state to state. I can only run 3 poles total. I wouldn't be upset if someone gets a world record by spider rigging with 8 poles. Just dont see why it's an issue. And why does everyone keep saying he raised and fed this fish. Does anyone know this or is it an assumption?

It's the reason why I ask was the pond public or private. It makes a difference to me because the records should be different for public and private fisheries in my opinion. With modern technology a private pond owner could raised super size crappie just like they do deer here (i'm in Texas). I'm not saying this fish was raised that way but I don't know enough about the story to say one way or another. I will say have much more respect for a fish caught in pubic waters than one caught in private. This just my humble opinion.

deathb4disco
05-21-2018, 09:20 AM
I think it's highly unlikely this fish was "raised" to be a record.

If I owned the pond and was trying to produce a world record, guess who would be fishing that pond? Me and nobody else! Who would put in the time and effort to raise a record fish and then let somebody else catch it?

Bluesraider
05-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Somewhere along the line my post got taken out of context.....I never said this particular fish was raised to be a record....I said it is something that was a possibility for someone to do at some point. That's the main reason I never post on forums and should have known better. I have said repeatedly that its just MY OPINION that there should be 2 sets of records on fish caught.

Slow Retrieve
05-21-2018, 10:39 AM
I don't begrudge or have a problem with a record being caught on private property. IMO a record is a statement of fact, information about a species record catch. It isn't a tournament with prize money where public boundaries need to be maintained. Not that it's likely to ever happen but I wouldn't want my name on a "record" that really wasn't a record if I knew there was really someone else that caught one larger. That's the entire point of it being the record fish regardless of where it was caught. It would be misrepresented facts.

Now I wouldn't have a problem if a state chose to include a separate * category of largest caught in public waters just below the actual record. I don't know how much work or hassle that would burden the state with but listing both on the few species categories that would require two listings doesn't sound like too much effort and would offer the public more information.

KHNC
05-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Santee Cooper has had a 5lb crappie caught from its public waters before. So the opportunity exists, although extremely rare obviously.

KHNC
05-21-2018, 10:54 AM
To add to that, lake murray has the white crappie record at 5-1 and Lake moultrie (santee) has the black at 5-0. Just 50 or so short years ago.

deathb4disco
05-21-2018, 11:02 AM
To add to that, lake murray has the white crappie record at 5-1 and Lake moultrie (santee) has the black at 5-0. Just 50 or so short years ago.

Think about that, though. What kind of electronics were available fifty years ago? Did they even have flasher units back then? Today, you could spot the Titanic wreckage with the hi-tech sonar that's available. Should we have different records based on how much electronics were used?

INDyak
05-21-2018, 11:21 AM
, I would venture to guess you might be a bit miffed if some guy who raised monster fish in his personal pond broke that record you would feel a bit different....but maybe not. ...

INDyak
05-21-2018, 11:23 AM
sound to me like someone is saying it was raised.
But I'm over it at this point. Maybe everyone who disagrees with it being a record will get a nice "participation" ribbon like all the kids on school who haven't learned to lose gracefully yet

TNReb58
05-22-2018, 01:48 AM
Its seems to me like records should be from Public waters.....kinda like natural grown instead of farm fed.

So all deer records should be required to be harvested from public land as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

TNReb58
05-22-2018, 01:50 AM
Maybe....but like G mentioned, you could start by making it to where it must be caught from a public waterway. With technology and everything else at people's disposal I could easily see someone work at "growing" fish in their private ponds just to continue raising the record weights. I personally don't view that the same as "Joe Fisherman" out and catching it on a public lake that everyone has the opportunity to fish. That may sound a little far fetched but with the "win at all costs...I have to be first" attitude these days I don't think it's too crazy to think someone who could care less about fishing "catching" one in his/her own pond.

I am truly not trying to take anything away from the catch because I would love to have hooked up to that monster too but just personally have a hard time with the way fish records are held.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So all deer state / world records should only be harvested from public land as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

TNReb58
05-22-2018, 01:52 AM
Everyone on this thread complaining about the potential record-fish being caught in a private pond is a Cry-Baby

"G"
05-22-2018, 05:08 AM
Lets keep it civil guys....just agree to disagree.

tenncrappie
05-22-2018, 06:33 AM
How childish. Doesn't matter where this fish was caught in my book. You can bet the kid didn't use down imaging when he caught it. Might have come home with a few chiggers and ticks while fishing the bank. If I'm not mistaken the world record largemouth bass was caught from a farm pond. Geez! Good job young man and you've made the state of Tenn proud.

spindle
05-22-2018, 09:15 AM
That is one heck of a catch!! I may be alone on this one, but I do wish they would have separate records for pond caught fish as opposed to larger bodies of water. I totally agree with you. It' sort of like killing a huge deer on a private preserve. Not private land, but a place where the deer are groomed and protected until they are monsters.

"G"
05-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Alright guys.....Lets not dwell on what one thinks is right... what one thinks is wrong... what should be...what ought to be...what could have been...argue opinions etc etc....We are all crappie fishermen no matter what the legal method. Lets quit arguing and fussing. Lets go fishing. With that I am closing this thread. Everyone have a blessed day.