PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Slabs hiding?

floppingcrappie
05-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Anyone else experience a strange spawning season? One day we had a blizzard and a week later it was 80+ degrees outside. I fished a small lake yesterday (about a week after filming this) and water temp was in the 60's with no crappie to be found on the shore. So is it just me or was this spawning season weird?

Sorry, no slabs were caught in the making of this video...

-FC

https://youtu.be/hH42BH14KoE

CrappiePappy
05-15-2018, 05:09 PM
To be sure, it has been "one of those years" with yoyo weather patterns, then BAM it's Summer temps. Had my state's Crappie confused, for sure. Flooding from all the rains, at the most inopportune time, followed by lingering cold weather pushing their window of opportunity almost completely closed had them scattered in many depths of water (and not following the normal prespawn to spawn procedure). Some of our lakes are experiencing high 70's water temps & the weather forecast is for continued daytime highs in the 80's, so that window could already be completely shut.

They tried to spawn, they really wanted to spawn, but the conditions they were faced with has probably diminished their efforts at a very high percentage rate. We won't know for sure until year after next, but my money is on a low percentage of fecundity.

Ketchn
05-15-2018, 07:41 PM
we had no post spawn here at all , they packed up after a fling or 2 or 3 or 4 on the shore for 2 or 3 months off and on ....
and KABOOM ...summer mode they went

scrat
05-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Record weather highs 96 and water temps.84 here in east central Mississippi the past 2 days. Summer is here for sure. Thanks for sharing the video.

TerryD
05-15-2018, 08:10 PM
Check with Bee. I think they all went to Maine!!

floppingcrappie
05-16-2018, 08:47 AM
To be sure, it has been "one of those years" with yoyo weather patterns, then BAM it's Summer temps. Had my state's Crappie confused, for sure. Flooding from all the rains, at the most inopportune time, followed by lingering cold weather pushing their window of opportunity almost completely closed had them scattered in many depths of water (and not following the normal prespawn to spawn procedure). Some of our lakes are experiencing high 70's water temps & the weather forecast is for continued daytime highs in the 80's, so that window could already be completely shut.

They tried to spawn, they really wanted to spawn, but the conditions they were faced with has probably diminished their efforts at a very high percentage rate. We won't know for sure until year after next, but my money is on a low percentage of fecundity.

That's too bad. Do you think it will hurt the overall size of crappie?

floppingcrappie
05-16-2018, 08:48 AM
Check with Bee. I think they all went to Maine!!

haha, I saw his last post with the slip bobber and rippin rap. Those are some nice black crappie.

CrappiePappy
05-16-2018, 11:42 AM
That's too bad. Do you think it will hurt the overall size of crappie?

Not the ones in there, now .... they'll just absorb the eggs and go on about their business, til next year. It will just amount to a gap in the size ranges (year classes).