HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice for boat and getting started

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seeking advice for boat and getting started

Thanks for taking a look at this thread. I am looking for advice and input on boats and getting started to Crappie fish. Our family boat is a pontoon and we love it but I'm wanting to get something small that I can easily manage by myself in the water and launching and loading. I've had my eye on some aluminum boats, likely a 16' boat with a small tiller motor. Honestly I'd be fine with a 25hp. I don't plan on running from one end of the lake to the other and don't plan to do any kind of trounement fishing. Just looking for something small and easy to operate. A good trolling motor and Sonar are both a must. What do I need to look for or stay away from? I've fished with a friend who had a 25hp motor on a smaller boat and I honestly felt like it was plenty for us to run around in but I have another friend who says he likes more motor. In a boat this size I am leaning towards tiller steer to save room that the console would take up.

Once I've got the boat I'll be drooling to put some fish in it. Likely will be fishing the Yadkin lakes. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the most productive and best ways to learn how to catch crappie for someone farily new into the game. Of course nothing will beat getting on the water and fishing.
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat3 View Post
    Thanks for taking a look at this thread. I am looking for advice and input on boats and getting started to Crappie fish. Our family boat is a pontoon and we love it but I'm wanting to get something small that I can easily manage by myself in the water and launching and loading. I've had my eye on some aluminum boats, likely a 16' boat with a small tiller motor. Honestly I'd be fine with a 25hp. I don't plan on running from one end of the lake to the other and don't plan to do any kind of trounement fishing. Just looking for something small and easy to operate. A good trolling motor and Sonar are both a must. What do I need to look for or stay away from? I've fished with a friend who had a 25hp motor on a smaller boat and I honestly felt like it was plenty for us to run around in but I have another friend who says he likes more motor. In a boat this size I am leaning towards tiller steer to save room that the console would take up.

Once I've got the boat I'll be drooling to put some fish in it. Likely will be fishing the Yadkin lakes. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the most productive and best ways to learn how to catch crappie for someone farily new into the game. Of course nothing will beat getting on the water and fishing.
    here is a nice little boat like you want except its not a tiller , and it don't look like it would take much to set it up the way you want and its is in North Carolina !!! I will also send you a PM !!!!
    The boss man's fishing machine

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 16 ft SeaArk wide bottom without the middle bench and a tiller 25 hp, it had a lot of room with two people fishing. It would run about 22mph with 2 people and gear. I had a hand control trolling motor and a small depth finder on the front deck along with four rodholders for spider rigging. I fished Jordan, Harris, Cape Fear River, and the Roanoke River with no issues. You should be able to find one on craigslist for under 2500, it may need a little fixing up but that is half the fun!
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you all ready have a great plan.
    Thanks BigDawgg thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good sight to browse around on, and if you're close stop in and look around (it's in Fayetteville): AK McCallum Co. - Boats

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My next door neighbor used to have a express 15/46 duck boat with 25 merc. Had pods on back for seats, open floor with low front deck. Mounted 2 bases on front. Great spider rigging boat, pulled cranks and jiggled out of it. One of the best fishing boats I have fished out of for a smaller boat. Very stable and ran 25 with 2 of us in it. Could handle some pretty rough water.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Try it out before you buy it and put it to the test. Looks can be deceiving. Hope you get a good deal but be wise to fast sales! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing i would make sure of is the trolling motor, it needs to be variable speed with remote , you will definatle want to learn to long line troll and title line.

Post Thanks / Like

Being from the north, i am biased towards deep v aluminum boats that you can get down to a 16.5', for the stability and wider beams. Right now i crappie fish fom a alumacraft 175 competitors. The competitor line of boats have wide beams which is nice in chop.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  69.2 KB

Two years ago, i was in your shoes learning the southern way of crappie fishing. Let me know if you ever down in sc, you can fish with me if you want to learn spider rigging or whatever technique im using that day. I will be leaving this fall and not sure where im moving, but willing to help until then as its easier to see and you will pickup on it fast.

Post Thanks / Like

You can crappie fish from about any boat. You said you had a pontoon. I have three different boats with one of my favorite being the pontoon. I had Gene make me special rod mounts for the back rails where I can put his spyderloks and I mounted a remote control trolling motor on the front. I kick back and pull jigs all day with it. I have a tracker deep v that is my favorite if I am going by myself. Best of all worlds. Very stable, very good in rough water, can pull jigs, troll for stripers, spider rig,etc. I had a tiller at one time, but did not like it for trolling with the big motor for stripers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast