Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with science fair project

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need help with science fair project

My name is Randy. I'm in the sixth grade,and i,m kinda needing help with a
    science fair project. My topic is The best way to keep minnows alive. If you
    have any suggestions or ideas. Please post them. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the water they are in cold and keep it oxgenated with an aerator. The warmer the water is the harder it will be to keep them alive.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

wow, i always thought i was one of the youngest users on these forums and i am in college, but anyways. some ice cubes and aerator will help your cause. and you want to make sure that your container is not too "crowded" to prevent mortalities. thats kind of a weird topic for a science fair project. if you want you can get creative and try different methods, think of anything. and compare the amount of deaths between each of them

good luck

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to change out the water periodically. Amonia will occur, from their going, and this will polute the water. Good luck on the project.

Post Thanks / Like

O.K. I just got through grading 75 science fair projects for my eighth graders. The idea is original...I give you that. You need to set up several scenarios to see which would work best. The minnow count needs to be the same in all buckets. What do you want to test? The kind of container, the kind of water...? The type of container or bucket that keeps minnows the longest would probably be best. I would do a cheap starafoam bucket, plastic bucket, and maybe a small round cooler(don't use any that are square...the minnows will kill themselves in the corners). You'll want to put the same amount of water in each. Remember you want to keep everything the same except the type of bucket. Keep ALL your data. When you started, how much water, type of bucket, the amount of time it takes for one minnow to die, two minnows to die, and so on. Take pictures and put them on your board. You may even change the water every 24hrs. if you want if you change the all at the same time and use the same water source. Also put in your data where you put the buckets. Best to put them in the shade with the heat the way it is.

Probably be best to do it over the weekend so you can check in on them periodically.

Wheeww! Hope that helps!
    Last edited by CrappieHound; 03-26-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple of other things to think about. When you buy your minnows try and get the same size. Remember...the bucket is the only variable. In the data tell what size minnows you used and the type water. I WOULD NOT use tap water(out of sink) because there are too many chemicals used to clean the water. Try and get the person at the bait shop to give you enough water for your project. The other alternative is lake water. You could possibly even get by with distilled water from wally world. Make a data sheet with Bucket 1, Bucket 2, Bucket 3 down the side or on top. Then list all the other info going down the page. This lets the judges know you did everything the same for each bucket.

I want to know how this turns out so let us her your results when you are done! Great idea...You rock!

Now if you know where some crappies are over there in ARK. let me know and you can take me to catch some on those minnows!

I'll even bring my boat!

PM me with any questions

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by CrappieHound; 03-26-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend not using city or county water, especially not using any ice bought from a convienience store. This water has chemicals to clean the water and it will kill the minnows. If you have well water, use it. If not, try to find a friend or neighbor that does. I have well water and I've kept minnows alive for quite a while unless it was too hot or too many minnows in the bucket. You can take an empty drink bottle and fill it with water and freeze it and use it to keep the water cool but if you do use bagged ice, don't open the bag.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use tap water, but you have to get some chemicals to get rid of the chlorine.
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Thanks

Thank's everyone. I'll keep them in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

They have bait tablets at BP shops and I use them occasionally seems to help. I have kept them alive for up to 3 days with an aerator. They may have lived longer but I used them all up. Occassionally I will put a small pop bottle with frozen water in my minnows also. Seems to help. Good Luck hope you are tops in your class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast