HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing it wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I doing it wrong?

So, I have a long lining question. I’m set up to pull 6 rods from the back of the boat. I have a 2 6ft, 2 8ft, and 2 10ft poles. Question number one is this: my poles get tangled almost every time I reel in, fish or no fish. Right now I’ve got my 6fts closest to the back, my 8fts in the middle, and my 10fts closest to the front of the boat. Should I be angling my poles a different way, or is there something else I’m doing wrong. Here is my current setup.
    Name:  IMG_8853.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  91.1 KB

Question number two: I’ve been catching a lot of fish, but want to try to find fish at all depths, so I run 3 different size baits and jig heads on each side. The question is should I have my heaviest weight in the longest pole or the shortest pole. I’m thinking the shortest, since they are in deeper water. But I’ve been running it the other way, with the one eighth jig head on the long pole, one 16th in the Middle and one 32nd on the inside.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction and help me avoid wasting anymore line? Lol
    Thanks
    Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, If I were doing it I'd turn your rod holder 90 degrees and run the 6's straight back on the inside, the 8's pointed diagonally out to the sides and the 10's straight out to the sides.

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at your setup I like my holders closer to the back of the boat where I can get more seperation between the rods. Put shortest closest to the motor and then the 8 footers. That way you are looking out the back and can see all the rods just by looking left or right. You may be turning to tight causing the tangles.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post
    Thanks Jman5626 thanked you for this post

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The way you have them set up, you only have 2' separation at the surface. Take the above advise.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I no it sounds odd but I reverse the set up you have. Also spread your poles as a member said above.
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the advise. What about weights? Should I keep the heaviest jigs on the inside poles ( closest to the motor) and the lighter jigs on the outside poles?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still learning in regards to catching, but your question is geometry related.
    Take the advise from others regarding maximum separation left to right on lines, and use same thought process on line angle regarding depth of bait.
    I pull crankbaits, with similar set up (6 rods out the back).
    i use 2 ounce weights on shortest two rods, which are nearest the motor, then on middle two, I try for less line angle, and less depth than first two, then on outside two, flattest line angle, thus shallowest. The actual depth of the 6 is about 2' of separation, say 2 at 8', 2 at 7', and 2 at 6', but the line angle is much greater, and as above, I seperate the lines as much as possible left to right.
    Long, slow, sweeping turns.
    i have a MK Terrova, with IPilot, it is awesome for the above.
    Catch a fish, snag bottom, whatever, right in the middle of a turn, hit spotlock, fix the problem, resume.
    There are times that you will look, and feel, like the "3 stooges" and there is only one of you!
    i fully expect to see myself on YouTube one day, posted by someone that was watching and laughing at me!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes Jman5626, tlefire LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaw View Post
    FWIW, If I were doing it I'd turn your rod holder 90 degrees and run the 6's straight back on the inside, the 8's pointed diagonally out to the sides and the 10's straight out to the sides.
    what he said
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaw View Post
    This

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Don't look like you have line counters, so this may not help. Alternate the line out distance 5 feet between adjacent poles. Helps keep them from crossing and tangling when turning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast