HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PICO Crankbaits catch anything!

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PICO Crankbaits catch anything!

Launched at 6:30 am this morning as 30 bass boats from a club was taking off, so decided to keep everything from 10" up and no sooner than I got the lines in the water, I was catching crappie as it was a hot morning of fishing. Water temp was 72, wind was blowing 14 mph right off the bat, and by 10 am was done with a limit of 10" to 14" in crappie, kept one yellow perch of 11", threw back 3 bass to 18", several small gills, and about a 25-30 lb flathead cat that took me 10 minutes to land on one of my 12" Southern Pro rods on 10 lb test Power Pro Braid and I will say this, I tried to break the rod as it was completely doubled over trying to bring that fish out of 14' of water. Awesome rod that will take the punishment. After getting the crankbait out of the cat's mouth, one of the hooks was all but straightened out so was lucky to land and released it also. Fished moved on me from yesterday and was about 150 yds down the creek line in deeper water and took about 45 minutes to find them..most of the biggies came right out of the creek channel that was 16-18' deep as I criss crossed it over and over working the fish that were suspended in 12 ft or deep. Couple of other places I caught fish was trolling the crankbaits 10-14' deep out from the north bank between a couple of points where the creek channel comes super close. Fish are still deep with the small ones coming up it seems.Hot colors today were Mud Bug, Zombie, Pink, and also Green Machine. www.picolures.com for the colors. Fishing is hot right now so hammer away when you can.

Name:  IMG_0740 (1).jpg
Views: 358
Size:  64.0 KBName:  IMG_0742.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  68.2 KB

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes Grizzly SC, coach mark, rubes, Greenedog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Always killing it. Good trip and report chuck.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok where do I get some pico baits, I went to west side bait shop and the kid working hadn't even heard of them lol, do you order yours online, or is there a bait store carrying them. I may need to go to Cabella's idk.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you mind sharing how you have those rigged? Are you using a large weight to get them to the desired depth? Any advice appreciated. I want to get started cranking but haven't caught a fish trying it so far. I've just been pulling them with no added weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coach mark View Post
    Ok where do I get some pico baits, I went to west side bait shop and the kid working hadn't even heard of them lol, do you order yours online, or is there a bait store carrying them. I may need to go to Cabella's idk.
    They're a sponsor. If using your phone just scroll down here \/. And click on it and it'll redirect ya..

Post Thanks / Like

No special way just use them like you throw a chrankbait. I do use a small snap to quick change them out. Some people use a snap swivel even. Any crankbaits will work. I have a ton of arkies and bandits. I do like the PICO’s. Less line out to go deeper, the dimpled sides vs smooth as Imthink it gives off vibrations over the side, the bass eat them up. Good colors. Just my preference. Anything works when you get them to the right depth. The thing about crsnkbaits is I think you catch larger fish and everything will hit a crankbait. Do I want to say a crankbait will out fish a lonlined jig? Not sure about that statement as a good,fisherman that knows how to fish jigs could have caught those,fish as I had 3 boats move in on me yesterday fishing jigs longlining as well as throwing them and I,think they just weren’t getting their jigs deep enough. Crankbaits are easy to control and get to the exact desired depth your seeing fish on your electronics so it’s a combination of both as you still have to find the fish. When you read my postings, I can tell you about where and how you still have to locate and that is the learning process. Lemon is a easy lake to fish also. Those guys that crowded me, didn’t catch any big fish either or any numbers as I was still catching them.
    Last edited by cevans; 05-13-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good report. May have to learn more about crankin' later. My spring crappie fishing is over. Going out west to son's ranch. Will do some sturgeon and brown bass fishing tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for the report. I just have not had much time to fish between working and my mom being really ill. I did get out a few times in the last two weeks caught some crappie but the bluegill and redear have been on fire. One day I had 45 in two hours. Thanks again for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
    Thank for the report. I just have not had much time to fish between working and my mom being really ill. I did get out a few times in the last two weeks caught some crappie but the bluegill and redear have been on fire. One day I had 45 in two hours. Thanks again for the report.
    Good to hear from you. I have always enjoyed your reports especially when we were slamming Patoka when it was hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    Good report. May have to learn more about crankin' later. My spring crappie fishing is over. Going out west to son's ranch. Will do some sturgeon and brown bass fishing tho.
    keep us posted how your fishing out west!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast