Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: line question

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default line question

If fluorocarbon is invisible under water why would say 4 lb. be any better than 6lb. or 8lb. in the same line ? Casting not an issue as I am using Barkley Vanish to jig fish .

Post Thanks / Like

Default line question

4lb line would only be better to a 5lb bass that refused to join you on your boat ...

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Only advantage I can see is the 4lb being smaller diameter would get jigs down in deeper water fractionally quicker. I have used the 4,6, and 8lb Vanish and also same weights Seagar Red label extensively for jig fishing. Great, sensitive jig fishing line, only negative is it is a little harder to see above the water under some conditions. I don't like the 8lb version much with jigs below 1/4oz, it's stiffer and with a little memory and lighter jigs it won't really straighten out right if that makes sense. I really like the 6lb version of both brands with a Palomar knot but am pretty much fishing braid/fluoro leader with 1/4oz jigs on all my rods these days except for a couple with straight fluoro for the odd time I try lighter jigs. All I do is jig fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Like "Buck" Perry always said, you can only look at your equipment in terms of two controlling factors: Depth & Speed control. That being said you should choose your line, not on Lb./Test, but rather on diameter. And think of it as controlling your depth.

Regardless of whether or not fluorocarbon is visible to the fish, it has two very important functions. First being a shock absorber, especially when used as a leader with a braid main line. And second for it's abrasion resistance.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Like "Buck" Perry always said, you can only look at your equipment in terms of two controlling factors: Depth & Speed control. That being said you should choose your line, not on Lb./Test, but rather on diameter. And think of it as controlling your depth.

Regardless of whether or not fluorocarbon is visible to the fish, it has two very important functions. First being a shock absorber, especially when used as a leader with a braid main line. And second for it's abrasion resistance.
    this would be true if casting, long lining, pushing , ect . but single pole /dipping lure drop is controlled by rate of tip drop . If it is invisible a 25 lb. test size would make no difference than a 4 lb. line . If it's not visible it's not visible .
    Likes dko LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 8 lb vanish for quite some time and was very happy with it . Strong and sensitive and the fish loved it too
    I was trying the 8 to avoid break off problems in the spring with fixed pinch on floats and kept using it for vertical as well in the summer ....there may be a disadvantage that I am not aware of but other than the price of it I was liking it . I got mine off a clearance rack and gave a spool away and was sad I did the give away ....lol
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales