Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some help

Found fish scattered throughout a flat area slightly suspended. Definitely not schooled up. I drifted with the wind throughout this area and was catching fish on minnows. Problem is the wind blows very inconsistent.

What's a more precise way to catch these fish? Depth was mostly 10-12 feet and flat and featureless. Do you troll through here or hang rods out the front?

Any tips on rod length, weights, baits etc is appreciated.

Thanks

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, that would be a case for Pushing jigs : 14' rods - 1/2 to 3/4oz weights - mix of boot tails, stinger shads, Road Runners - color schemes are personal choice, but I like contrasting head/tail colors. (and I usually opt for larger plastics than when casting)

When they're scattered & suspended .... my choice is *Pushing, because I can cover more territory in a shorter amount of time than when Spider Rigging. I consider Spider Rigging to be much more effective when having to fish slower & in a more precise location, and when the fish are schooled & relating to cover (esp. when above or beside cover & not down in it)

If you are not set up for Pushing ... then *Longline Trolling or *Pulling is an alternative that should work.

*definitions as I'm presenting:
    Pushing ... rods out the front of the boat, weight on main lines
    Pulling ... rods out side or back of boat, weight on main lines
    Longline Trolling ... rods out side or back of boat, no weight on lines