Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I raise my own minnows

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I raise my own minnows

I'm wanting to know if anyone can tell me what I need to do to raise my own minnows so I don't have to buy them all the time. I have a 20 gallon fish tank to put extra minnows in when I get off the lake. I was told that to grow your own you need a larger tank or pond. So I want to know how big and do I buy the minnow eggs or just a ton of small minnows to start.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Who ever told you, you need a pond wasn't kidding. Look into fish hatcheries. Nightcrawlers are complicated enough I couldn't imagine mnnows.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004
    Thanks daallanta thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raising Bait

Minnows are and are not easy to grow and raise (they are always growing so size may be a problem). Depends on alot of factors cost of raising them successfully and funds for this project can be up there. I would check with state fisheries biologist first for advice. Another idea would be locate bait distrubutor and buy minnows by the pound and hold in a tank.

Just my thoughts. I have thought about it too for trotline bait.

TT

Post Thanks / Like

You can go to a fish hatchery and buy a pound of fathead minnows. I can get a pound for $10 and I'll get around 300+/-. I'm going to do that real soon since the dogwoods are starting to turn white!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc
    You can go to a fish hatchery and buy a pound of fathead minnows. I can get a pound for $10 and I'll get around 300+/-. I'm going to do that real soon since the dogwoods are starting to turn white!
    that is the ticket...you HAVE to have large stock ponds..it is a very extensive project..the best thing to do is buy them by the pound..set up a vat and never feed them...give them air and a pump to churn the water..i use dual line fish tank air pumps and coi pond pumps..they will live about 2 weeks...you dont feed the cause it builds up too much ammonia in the water..

Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Post Thanks / Like

Try an old chest type freezer in a shaded or sheltered area. aeriate and catch them from the creeks or buy them by the pound. Don't overstock your tank. Put you a stop on the lid to keep it from closing completely for kids and cats to get out if they venture in.

Post Thanks / Like

Default a pond, a big one

If you want to raise minnows you need a pond, preferably a great big one. The deeper the sides the better because the pesky blue heron will hammer you if he can wade and eat. If you know someone with several large stock ponds, I suggest that you stock them with say, 10-20 lbs each of minnows. Don't mix fatheads and shiners in the same pond. Also you need to put some cover around the edge for them to hide in and feed. Cedar trees or other crappie cover will work. Then after they have been in there about a year, you can catch them easily in wire minnow traps, unless of course they have all been eaten, or. . .

get a rubbermaid 250 gallon plastic stock tank and put it inside a cool building with a good aerator and don't put more than 4-5 pounds minnows. keep cool, don't feed and put in a couple cups of meat salt every week or two to keep the gills hard. they won't reproduce, but the blasted herons won't eat them.

good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a minnow tank, try freezing a 2 liter bottle full of water and using it to cool the water. I have a couple of them ready for when I start my minnow tank.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will buy a minnow trap and try to catch some at the boat ramps. I have seen lots of them on the concrete at night there.
    I do have a minnow tank and buy them by the pound but it's hard to keep them alive if I don't use them all. I bought a 20 gallon fish tank last year real cheap and it works good but not if I over load it.

Crappie X.
    Last edited by Crappie Xtreme; 04-06-2007 at 10:36 PM.
    IL board Moderator

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Xtream ....

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Xtream
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I will buy a minnow trap and try to catch some at the boat ramps. I have seen lots of them on the concrete at night there.
    Crappie X.
    Just be sure and be able to identify the "species" of those "minnows" ... so you can pick thru and release any unwanted species, or those that are "sport fish youngun's"
    And, also ... check your state regulations on what constitutes a "minnow", what "minnows" you are allowed to trap and keep, and "how many" you are legally allowed to have in your possession. (if Illinois has any such regulations)

Illinois Fishing Regulations stipulates that a "minnow" is any member of the "Minnow family" (Cyprinidae) ... excluding Carp and Goldfish. What you are looking for are - fathead minnows and/or bluntnose minnows. Shad, Brook Silversides, Bass fry, Sunfish fry, Sticklebacks, and a whole host of other "etcetera's" are not. They may be near impossible to keep, illegal to possess, or just simply not a viable bait ... or worthy of using.

....... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast