Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: color-c-lector

Post Thanks / Like

Default color-c-lector

What happened to the color-c-lector at spike it? Was this just a gimmick or do they really work? I have a very old model one but never really used it. With all the colors of lures used today to catch crappie I would have thought this machine would have been a real help as to what colors to use. I have seen where they are no longer selling these at most stores and even spike it. What do you think about these are they worth using?

https://www.ispikeit.com/search?sear...color-c-lector
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve heard that the old ones were better than the newer ones.IMO, if you fish the same lake most of the time, you probably know the best colors anyway. Full disclosure, I have no experience with them.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had one that was round and the cord wrapped around it back around '91. My uncle who had crappie fished since the 60's laughed at me when I showed it to him. I know for a fact that on a handful of occasions, the color it recommended worked and worked far better than our "go-to" colors. Back then you could count available colors on less than both hands. With today's color selection, I'm not sure a device like that would stand a chance. Sure wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the old round one back 20 yrs ago and it was actually pretty right on a far as selecting the right colors, it couldn't make the fish always bite but if they were it was usually the colors selected or one very close. The key is they get you the color range a lot of times they want a exact color but most of the time they will hit a wide range of similar colors.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the original Color-C-lector .... sold it & bought the Combo-C-lector (color/temp/pH) .... and while I did use them, back in the day, they really didn't help all that much, since they basically told me to use the same colors that I normally used, anyway
    Even when I had the Combo, I never really took much stock in the pH reading or temp. I used them mostly when Bass fishing, but never bothered taking them when fishing the American Bass Federation tournament trail in KY (back in the 1970's).

I see them on eBay, now & then. Never bothered getting the Spike-it version, since I still have the Combo unit (somewhere in the depths of my fishing closet )

The science behind them is valid ... but, with the way I fish today, and one of the reasons I quit using them decades ago, I find them cumbersome & time consuming to put to any serious use. And I never felt a need to use them while Crappie fishing for the first 20 or so years ... since I was doing quite well with minners or a white marabou jig.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both....the old round one by Lake Industries and the newer one by spike it. I use the one by spike it sometimes on unfamiliar waters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input on the color-c-lector . May just give it a try next time I am out fishing and those crappie are getting the best of me(skunked). If it doesn't work I will just put it up as a collectors item one day for my great grandkids. Thanks again.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post