Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Better for shell cracker, Kentucky or Barkley lakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Better for shell cracker, Kentucky or Barkley lakes?

Wondering what you all think is the better lake for catching those big plate size crackers, Kentucky or Barkley?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhitter View Post
    Wondering what you all think is the better lake for catching those big plate size crackers, Kentucky or Barkley?
    I have no personal knowledge, but all the episodes I've seen of Ky Afield (Jim Doom/Tim Farmer & Jim Doom/Chad Miles) where they were Bluegill/Shellcracker fishing .... were done on Barkley Lake.
    Likes Monark King190 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CrappiePappy!

Post Thanks / Like

Rockhitter, I agree with Cappie Pappy. Barkely has been the best for me. I fished the creeks/bays around Canton, East side of Barkley, Lick Creek and Hopson Creek for Bluegill and Shell crackers. Lick Creek has a road bed running across the bay toward the back end that is excellent. Sit/anchor on the road bed and fish either side. If you put in the Devil's elbow ramp, just go back to the left in the middle of the bay until you see the change in depth for the road bed. Best I can remember it's about 4-5 ft on the road bed and about 6-8 ft on the sides at summer pool. There is also a bridge that has been blown out toward the right side going back. But, this has been a few years, but, I would love to be there now. Let me know how you do if you fish this area.
    Likes Hotpepper, Clipper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks perchjerker108, Barkley is big and everything looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

Rockhitter, Yep, I gave you the best place for me on the road bed tip for Barkley. We caught about 300 per day on this road bed, keeping about 50 per day of the best,. I think our size limit was 8" unless it was gut hooked.. If all else fails, fish the back end of any bay near the edge of what they call Buck Bushes. They may only be in only 2-3 ft of water, but we fished near the edges, the Crackers were a little deeper away from the bushes. We caught about everything, LB Bass, Blue Catfish, Channel Cats, Bluegill and Crackers when we fished these 'Bushes'. I got a Bluegill tangled up in one of these bushes, trying to get it loose, dangling on the top of the water and had a 5 lb LB Bass get him, but the fight didn't last very long. So, the LB Bass are in there with the Bedding Bluegill if you are also wanting Bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Both, the bite is getting red hot!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Likes redearhoosier LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going early in the morning. Going to try a couple spots on Barkley first, have one very interesting spot on Kentucky I'll try if things go south.

I've caught two big redear so far this spring...not a happy camper...Hopefully that changes starting tomorrow morning!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck redearhoosier. I just got back from Guntersville and we knocked it out of the park on shell cracker. First day was so so, but after the lake temp climbed 4-6 degrees they went crazy. I am a transplanted hoosier myself, lived 25 years on the south side of Indianapolis before I came to my senses and relocated to Alvaton [Bowling Green].

Post Thanks / Like

read ear, caught 2 nice readear today on Barkley. Right on the bank. Gonna try again tomorrow for some readear and gills. Not sure whether to go Barkley or Ky.