PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Hooks?

Lonnie84
05-04-2018, 12:34 PM
Do you re-sharpen your hooks and if so how often and what kind of sharpener do you use? With jigs and hooks a plenty these days I seldom hear or see anyone sharpening their hooks anymore. I lost a nice one yesterday even though I set the hook hard it still didn't stick like it should have so I have a small sharpener kind like a flat file to use but can't really tell if it did much good, I hate burning through perfectly good jigs to keep a sharp point but can't find much in way of quality hook sharpeners out there either.

CrappiePappy
05-04-2018, 12:41 PM
As long as my hooks come to a point, even if it's a dull or broken point, I don't seem to have a problem with them sticking into fish. So, for me personally, no .... I don't sharpen my hooks, even though I probably have a sharpening stone of some kind or another somewhere in my tackle (though maybe not in the tackle I take out in the boat).

huntinslabs
05-04-2018, 01:14 PM
I find hook files to be way better than the stone variety. Dont typically sharpen plain hooks or small jigheads. Will sharpen hooks on saltwater jigheads and on lures. Occasionally on a very fast bite when longlining I will touch up the Roadrunner heads. I use a diamond file on the Roadrunners.

scrat
05-04-2018, 02:00 PM
I just throw the dull ones away. If it isn't sharp enough to stick in or scratch a thumb nail it needs to be sharpened or threw away.:twocents

GreenLine
05-04-2018, 02:38 PM
I use this on hooks, knives, everything

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

skeetbum
05-04-2018, 05:36 PM
I haven't had to sharpen a hook since I started using Sickle hooks.

Barnacle Bill
05-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Another nickname for crappie is papermouth because their mouth is soft. You don't need a sharp hook like for a bass.

Grainraiser
05-04-2018, 08:17 PM
I use sickle hooks which are super sharp. I will lose a jig before it loses it's sharpness.

Crestliner08
05-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Twenty or thirty years ago, the quality of hook points were significantly less than what it is today. A lot of that has to do with competition, with is dramatically greater these days as well. Back a couple of decades ago, I use to sharpen all my hooks - even those right out of the package! These days, I don't bother, as it is easier to just replace the hook, regardless of the species I'm targeting.

blueball
05-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Never worry about sharp hooks,but a good barb i like.With a big barb it seems like less fish get off after they are hooked.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

tlefire
05-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Sickle hooks.....the only way to go.

Ketchn
05-06-2018, 06:31 AM
I haven't had to sharpen a hook since I started using Sickle hooks.

THIS