HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharp Hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sharp Hooks?

Do you re-sharpen your hooks and if so how often and what kind of sharpener do you use? With jigs and hooks a plenty these days I seldom hear or see anyone sharpening their hooks anymore. I lost a nice one yesterday even though I set the hook hard it still didn't stick like it should have so I have a small sharpener kind like a flat file to use but can't really tell if it did much good, I hate burning through perfectly good jigs to keep a sharp point but can't find much in way of quality hook sharpeners out there either.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as my hooks come to a point, even if it's a dull or broken point, I don't seem to have a problem with them sticking into fish. So, for me personally, no .... I don't sharpen my hooks, even though I probably have a sharpening stone of some kind or another somewhere in my tackle (though maybe not in the tackle I take out in the boat).
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I find hook files to be way better than the stone variety. Dont typically sharpen plain hooks or small jigheads. Will sharpen hooks on saltwater jigheads and on lures. Occasionally on a very fast bite when longlining I will touch up the Roadrunner heads. I use a diamond file on the Roadrunners.

Post Thanks / Like

I just throw the dull ones away. If it isn't sharp enough to stick in or scratch a thumb nail it needs to be sharpened or threw away.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use this on hooks, knives, everything
    Name:  IMG_0278.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  102.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks Lonnie84 thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had to sharpen a hook since I started using Sickle hooks.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Another nickname for crappie is papermouth because their mouth is soft. You don't need a sharp hook like for a bass.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I use sickle hooks which are super sharp. I will lose a jig before it loses it's sharpness.

Post Thanks / Like

Twenty or thirty years ago, the quality of hook points were significantly less than what it is today. A lot of that has to do with competition, with is dramatically greater these days as well. Back a couple of decades ago, I use to sharpen all my hooks - even those right out of the package! These days, I don't bother, as it is easier to just replace the hook, regardless of the species I'm targeting.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Never worry about sharp hooks,but a good barb i like.With a big barb it seems like less fish get off after they are hooked.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast