HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Catching crappie on a big river

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catching crappie on a big river

I live about 10-15 minutes from the Cumberland River that flows through Nashville. I have bass and cat fished it a couple of times but have never crappie fished it. How do you catch crappie on a high current river? A big problem is that there is very few backwaters off of this river. Is it possible to catch crappie there? Can't recall seeing anyone fishing for crappie but have only fished it a few times. Most of my fishing is at Kentucky Lake at my lake house there. But it hasn't been very good there either and I am worried about the Asian carp issue. So I thought I would see if I could catch a crappie on this river. Spent about 4 hours today looking around and crappie fishing some but never got a nibble. Any advise for river crappie fishing?
    Crappie Time

Post Thanks / Like

Fish any of the feeder creeks and streams that you can get into. Don't be afraid to fish in the shallow and or stained water. This time of year that is where they should be. I have caught crappie on Cheatham while bass fishing in the feeder creeks but, I have never targeted crappie. I'm sure someone else with more river/current experience will chime in.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same question about the lower Missouri. I have seen videos of people catching Stripped Bass in the Law near the confluence with the Missouri but no videos of Crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe no one targets crappie on a river like this. I wouldn't be too surprised. Seems like a tough thing to do especially without having very many feeder creeks. Seems like lots of current and no place for the crappies to get out of it. I was just trying to see if anyone on here does it consistently and how. Pretty talented bunch of crappie guys on this site!
    Crappie Time

Post Thanks / Like

We fish the Connecticut River system here in MA, which comes down from the Canadian border lakes. We mainly target oxbow lakes and back waters on bends. I've always been told that you can catch crappie in the main river basin, but as of yet, no one has told me how!?

If your river doesn't have these type of backwaters or large eddys, you might want to consider calling your Dept. of Natural Resources and find out from them if any crappie do exist in the main river system. Maybe you're just chasing ghosts? If they tell you that there are crappie in the river, then I would also like to know how to target them.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

besides bays and creek mouths, jig any wood that blocks some current. bridge pylons and wing dams can hold them too. think current block and you will find some. its a very intimidating dangerous river you have there. with the current you have there, you mite need to step up to half or 3/4oz jigs to probe cover correctly. some chunks of skip jack on your jig wouldnt hurt either. look for fish with electronics then drop down vertical on them. run and gun until you find them.

Post Thanks / Like

As has been said...look for any kind of slack water......back water...tributary. I thought I did a post on here about fishing a Cumberland River tributary...but maybe not. I caught these with my son in sight of the main river. He took home 15 crappie....all over 12 inches. We could have had more but if it wasn’t at the 12 inch mark back it went. The Cumberland River is overlooked for crappie....but they are there. As also has been said it can be a mean river....not to be taken lightly.

RegardsName:  IMG_1231.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  150.1 KBName:  IMG_1233.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  153.7 KBName:  IMG_1234.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  108.0 KB

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Ttexastom, short grub, reelcranky LIKED above post
    Thanks Slabprowler thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice crappie. Thanks. I will see if I can find your original post on this subject.
    Crappie Time