Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 3 across seat bases on fibeglass?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 across seat bases on fibeglass?

I am wondering if anybody has ever installed 3 across bases on a fiberglass boat? I know that there are double seat setups that you can put in and take out, I have one. But they are kinda cumbersome when moving around on the bow deck. I really want to add two bases and use offset seat posts. This would space my seats perfect and I wouldn't have the double seat rig in the way. If anyone has ever added them to a glass boat, please comment. Just looking for tips before I get into it.
    2005 Ranger 178VS
    150 Yamaha VMAX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLSandusky View Post
    I am wondering if anybody has ever installed 3 across bases on a fiberglass boat? I know that there are double seat setups that you can put in and take out, I have one. But they are kinda cumbersome when moving around on the bow deck. I really want to add two bases and use offset seat posts. This would space my seats perfect and I wouldn't have the double seat rig in the way. If anyone has ever added them to a glass boat, please comment. Just looking for tips before I get into it.
    I have not but talking to a dealer he other day about adding a "twosome" seat rig to crappie fish from he said to make sure the deck has the support structure before drilling any holes. I may go with the double seat that works off of the center hole already in the front deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I added two extra bases to my glass boat. It was a selling point when I bought it, I was able to access the bottom of the deck thru the storage lockers without the bases being mounted in either. I of course thru bolted and used real big fender washers underneath, my deck is a layer of fiberglass, wood and another layer of fiberglass so stability wasn't an issue. If you can mount them by all means do so
    Likes "G", blueball, crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snubbys View Post
    I added two extra bases to my glass boat. It was a selling point when I bought it, I was able to access the bottom of the deck thru the storage lockers without the bases being mounted in either. I of course thru bolted and used real big fender washers underneath, my deck is a layer of fiberglass, wood and another layer of fiberglass so stability wasn't an issue. If you can mount them by all means do so
    I to have access to the bottom of the deck where the bases would be mounted. I need to double check the thickness and structure support in those areas. It's gonna be tricky but I'm going to do it at some point. I'm getting tired of the double seat rig being in my way. If you by chance have any pictures to post I would appreciate it. Did you mount the bases on top of the carpet or beneath it?
    2005 Ranger 178VS
    150 Yamaha VMAX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLSandusky View Post
    I to have access to the bottom of the deck where the bases would be mounted. I need to double check the thickness and structure support in those areas. It's gonna be tricky but I'm going to do it at some point. I'm getting tired of the double seat rig being in my way. If you by chance have any pictures to post I would appreciate it. Did you mount the bases on top of the carpet or beneath it?
    I laid my base plates out where I wanted them and used a utility knife and scored the carpet around the plates. I pulled the carpet up and scraped and cleaned off all the glue. My base plates required a 2 3/4" hole saw bit for centers and of course a 3/8" drill bit for the 6 bolts. The biggest pain was cutting out and removing the 4 inches of foam under the deck. I also used laquer around the exposed wood on the big center holes and when I put my bolts thru I used marine grade water proof silicone as not to allow moisture into the wood over time. I plan to re carpet the boat in the future and the plates would be covered then. What type of boat do you have? Maybe someobe can identify what your deck is made of.
    Name:  20180503_052257.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  88.2 KB

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Likes blueball, RogerA LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I also used teflon lock nuts and a little blue loctite on my screws, I tend to overkill stuff
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2005 Ranger 178VS. Only wood in it is the deck extension piece that I made. I'm like you with the carpet too. I want to replace it sometime in the future.
    2005 Ranger 178VS
    150 Yamaha VMAX

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a guide at Reelfoot that looked like he had a bus seat up front. Was three of them on it and looked quite comfortable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snubbys View Post
    I laid my base plates out where I wanted them and used a utility knife and scored the carpet around the plates. I pulled the carpet up and scraped and cleaned off all the glue. My base plates required a 2 3/4" hole saw bit for centers and of course a 3/8" drill bit for the 6 bolts. The biggest pain was cutting out and removing the 4 inches of foam under the deck. I also used laquer around the exposed wood on the big center holes and when I put my bolts thru I used marine grade water proof silicone as not to allow moisture into the wood over time. I plan to re carpet the boat in the future and the plates would be covered then. What type of boat do you have? Maybe someobe can identify what your deck is made of.
    Name:  20180503_052257.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  88.2 KB

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Exactly how I did mine.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What is the distance between the center of the new bases?