PDA

View Full Version : Educate me, please!

ET Fish
05-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Cleaned some fish, and snapped a couple pics of the eggs. Do these fish appear to be spawning, or have they gave up and started absorbing the eggs. I donít have a clue!300581300582

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Jwater
05-01-2018, 09:42 PM
I’m wondering the same thing.

broharrell
05-01-2018, 09:55 PM
I cleaned some recently, and the eggs were that beige color.

Triton189
05-01-2018, 09:58 PM
I think they are absorbing the eggs. I believe most areas of the country lost the spawn this year.

Slabprowler
05-01-2018, 10:39 PM
I catch gills in a cold water stream every year in June and their eggs look just like those ! And I know those gills are spawning I do know folks say when the are faded looking like that they are going to absorb them And I’m sure they do to some extent but they still have blood running to them so I would like to know for sure ! I caught lots of crappie 2-3 weeks ago and they looked that way and I am still catching fish in that same area that have spawned out ! :scratchhead

stormcloud
05-02-2018, 05:34 AM
My thinking is the top fish is spawned out and the bottom one is still good to go.

scrat
05-02-2018, 06:47 AM
I would like to know this also. Maybe if you ask the Biologist on the Kansas forum they can tell everyone. Here is where to post:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/ask-the-biologist/

Countryboy N.C.
05-02-2018, 07:28 AM
Something is up, i hadn't caught many at all on the bank this year, they should have already finish spawning, I hadn't caught any with wore off tales or bleeding tales, I hadn't found any beding, when they are beding you will see the mud clouds where they are fanning the beds out, can't find any. The fish we cleaned yesterday still had there eggs. plus they are scatter so bad, one here and one there. This time last year I was catching 60 to 80 a day on the banks, that was just in the afternoons, 4 or 5 hours of fishing, now I can't catch 20 fishing all day!

Chevync20
05-02-2018, 08:27 AM
Here in NC, all the ones I have caught have already spawned from the ones I am catching. The higher water levels here have spread fish out. Still catching some, but are scattered in the trees as the water is up 2-4' in some places.

SKs Crappie Catching Adventures
05-02-2018, 08:49 AM
I think the higher population of comrads and cranes had the feesh in my lake mostly spawning at night.... very few folks catching them shalla during daylight hours....
However myself and anyone else that's been fishn just out from the spawning grounds has been wacking good females during daylight hours....
I doubt very seriously the feesh absorb their eggs.... just my opinion ...I don't think nature will allow them to go without reproducing....
Feesh On.....

cevans
05-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Eggs look good,to me, not,all fish spawn at the same time. They will spawn when they,are ready. The lighter color of the eggs with no blood veins in them tell me those fish are ready to spawn and nest.

floppingcrappie
05-02-2018, 10:09 AM
I always wondered if fish absorb the eggs if they don't spawn or just disperse them they same way they take a number 2?

river scum
05-02-2018, 11:23 AM
im seeing the same thing here, NE IN.

the males are really getting dark, the last several days too.300640

fish are in 2-4fow hitting anything that hits the water.

CrappiePappy
05-02-2018, 02:03 PM
I always wondered if fish absorb the eggs if they don't spawn or just disperse them they same way they take a number 2?

They will absorb them, either those that they do not drop during their spawning runs or the whole egg sac if unable to even start a spawning run. They instinctively know that they want to spawn, but they also know they need to survive to spawn again. The protein encased in that egg sac is as good as a stomach full of minnows. If conditions aren't conducive to the survival of their offspring, it's more beneficial to them to absorb the eggs rather than simply dump them.

Interrupted spawns or totally missed spawns are one of the major reasons for their being a greatly reduced number of age classes of fish, like when you see a lot of 8-10" fish and 12-14" fish, but few 10-12" fish or <8" fish.

Ketchn
05-02-2018, 07:08 PM
fisheries biologist here in Texas tells me they will lay them no matter if its works or not ....says they are built to do it and do it they will .
I always wondered myself when I saw eggs that did look right color wise . I suppose they mite lay them even if they wont fertilize maybe?
heck if I know ,I toss most of them back anyway :Rofl

Ketchn
05-02-2018, 07:10 PM
so the old tale of the one age class eating the other one and that's what causes the cycles in sizes of fish is a old wives tale ?
I am confused .....

bandchaser
05-02-2018, 07:16 PM
My thinking is the top fish is spawned out and the bottom one is still good to go.X2

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CrappiePappy
05-02-2018, 07:31 PM
so the old tale of the one age class eating the other one and that's what causes the cycles in sizes of fish is a old wives tale ?
I am confused .....

I'm sure there's a lot of cannibalization going on, but I doubt it's wide spread enough to wipe out the biggest part of an age class. Maybe a contributing factor, but not likely the only one or even the major one.

CrappiePappy
05-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Cleaned some fish, and snapped a couple pics of the eggs. Do these fish appear to be spawning, or have they gave up and started absorbing the eggs. I donít have a clue!300581300582

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

ET .... IMHO, there ain't a thing wrong with either sac of eggs. The lighter colored eggs are in a pre-spawn phase fish ... while the bright yellow/light orange colored eggs are in a "ready to spawn" fish, but not actively spawning just yet.

As we all know ... not all Crappie spawn at the same time, nor do they develop their eggs at the same rate or mature at the same age. So, it would appear that the fish in the top picture is just a little behind schedule in her egg development, and not in the process of absorbing her eggs.

ET Fish
05-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I have learned some things, for sure. It has just been a strange Spring. Monday morning we had frost, today it was in the mid 80’s. I know the females stage in deeper water, but I have caught only one crappie near the bank. When you find a female, or females staging, it would make sense to me that the males would be in the general vicinity, and hitting anything in sight. That just hasn’t happened. I also notice far fewer trailers in the parking lot, which tells me that the spring bank beaters are having the same luck. There were two rigs in the parking lot yesterday morning when we arrived, and the sun had already risen.

scrat
05-02-2018, 08:39 PM
Sure has been a strange spring spawn so far. Here every time it would look like the water would get to the right temp. a rain and cold front would come through. In the past I have caught female crappie that would squirt eggs just from picking them up from the water to the boat but have not been the case this year. I am thinking that the weather has had a lot to do with it and they will start there spawn at different times this year. This is just my guess and I stand to be wrong.

JLSandusky
05-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Same exact story for me in central Ky. I cleaned 24 fish yesterday and most all the females had bright yellow eggs and half of those with blood veins. 2 of them had very pale eggs with veins. I have personally never seen them that color so I was somewhat confused. All came from the same lake. None were caught shallow. Only a few with torn up tails. I always try to evaluate the fish when cleaning to figure out what stage they are in. Seems that their normal schedule has been pushed back from the cold early spring and lake levels that act like a yo-yo. From what I can tell the next few weeks should be awesome for bank fishing.

ET Fish
05-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Sure has been a strange spring spawn so far. Here every time it would look like the water would get to the right temp. a rain and cold front would come through. In the past I have caught female crappie that would squirt eggs just from picking them up from the water to the boat but have not been the case this year. I am thinking that the weather has had a lot to do with it and they will start there spawn at different times this year. This is just my guess and I stand to be wrong.
I think here in East TN we skipped spring and are going straight to summer!