Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: LINE CHOICE

Post Thanks / Like

Default LINE CHOICE

When casting 1/16 with fixed float and without, my mono will tangle up in the eyes. I just put the line on. 4lb regular stren.
    The backing is 6lb mr crappie. 6ft shakespear rod and mr crappie spinning reel. The 6lb mono cast good on my mr crappie 6.6 ft rods with mr crappie reels. Those shakespear eyes look different. If I remember correct, it cast 10/2 power pro good.
    I kinda wanted to stay mono on fixed float, but what do you guys think? Do you use braid hi vis on fixed float?
    I may need to invest in some better reels too.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds lime maybe the line was put on backwards

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jay .... tie the tag end to something that won't move - walk off about the length of two good casts - pull the line taught and hold it for 10sec's & then let off - repeat two more times - cut line loose at the tied end - reel line back thru the grass while pinching the line in front of the reel with your finger & thumb. Then try casting it again.

The "stretching" pulls out the memory coils and relaxes the line, then the reeling back thru the grass will undo most of the twists that may have occurred from previous casts.

I, personally, don't care much about using braid with fixed floats .... since most braid is far slicker than mono, so the float is more prone to slip down the line. Then again, I'm not too crazy about fixed floats on mono, either, since they have a tendency to crimp mono (and that can become a weak spot).

I've used Stren Gold in 4lb & Vicious hi-vis in 6lb on a rod with micro guides ... and don't have a problem with line tangling up in the guides. The only times I've seen something like that happen is when the reel is filled too full or the line was spooled on backwards. Well, those two and when line size was too big for the size reel being used. Not sure if any of these are the cause of your problem, but the stretch/drag procedure should take care of the problem. (I hope)

Post Thanks / Like

Give a spool of 2# test Fireline Crystal a go. Attach a 3' length of 4# test fluorocarbon leader material (for abrasion resistance), then your lure. You'll never go back to mono again.

Tangles and line twist will be eliminated. Sensitivity will skyrocket. You will be able to cast a "country mile" with this set up as well. There is no down side - at least no one has shown me one yet. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

10# Braid with a 4' long mono leader of 2# or 4#.....All I use is 1/16 oz jigs with plastic.....Fixed float is okay but I use a sliding float...it cast better.
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I recently tried Kastking 8 and 10# test green braid and it casts light lures a nice distance. No guide problems. Much cheaper than Power Pro and free s/h. ($14/328 yds)
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you for your help. I'll be re-rigging up for the weekend ahead. If these tips work, great! If they don;t, I will re-name that rod and reel "morphidite." LOL