Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.9 advise

Post Thanks / Like

Default 9.9 advise

Hey Fellas
    How would a 9.9 evenrude do on a 16' aluminun? Not wanting to set any speed records I know. But would it be to much of a strain??

Post Thanks / Like

pretty sure you wont set any speed records, I wouldn't take it on any big water, but if you decide to buy one I know where you can get a great little merc. 9.9 for around 350.00....its an older model but in awesome shape...if you are interested let me know and I will get his contact info.....the motor is in North Alabama

Post Thanks / Like

It would be okay. Your not going to run very fast but there are areas where you don't need to set any speed records. Last year I had a 9.9 Johnson on a 16ft. flatbottom. The only problem is you need to keep the weight down in the boat if possible. More weight=more drag. A lot of weight and you will have to adjust your motor bracket with the pin to get it up on plane. Happy Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, if you have the option and can save for a larger motor that's what I would do. You'll be disappointed in the log run with a 9.9 on a 16 ft Jon. I had a 14/48 Jon with an 8hp Johnson. I was trying to cut corners and save a few dollars. I fished the river quite a bit back then, and with the current and a loaded boat it just didn't have enough umph! if you know what I mean. I'd save my dollars and look for at least a 15.

Post Thanks / Like

"get it up on plane" sound like it might just work....especially at $4.00 a gallon!
    How easy do you think it would be to trade a 9.9 for a 25-40hp?

Post Thanks / Like

If your going to be on a lake or off the main river a 9.9 isn't a problem. If your going to get on a river with a significant amount of current then I would go w/ badbrad's advice. Sometimes you just have to do what you can do and then move up when funds allow. You can also get into places others wouldn't even dare. Buy you a push pole and you can leave most everbody sitting on the outside looking in.

I wish I still had my 16ft. w/ a 9.9. Just didn't have the room to house it.

Post Thanks / Like

the 9.9 can be up graded to a 15hp buy changeing the jets in the carb a 15 will run just about as fast as a 25hp and use a lot less gas i run a 15 evenrude on a 15'-46" that gps 22mph loaded with gear the 25 that was on it was a lot slower giting up on plane then the 15 hope this will help you out

Post Thanks / Like

It takes more then chaing the jets to make a 9.9 a 15 for sure.

I used a 9.9 johnson on a 12 ft Sea nymph for years. V hulled and at times was more then impressed. I lost many a hat.
    On a flat bottom 14?? No problem what so ever. On a 14 V hull loaded??? don't waist your money.
    Especially if you not thinking of a dolphin or the like. I've done that route myself.
    Thats my 2 cents worth.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I run a 9.9 on my 16' Jon Boat and it works fine. It goes between 7-9 MPH, slow but sure. I have all day to get where I am going and I usually manage to get there first. I could spend more money, but then I would have to get a job. I would rather fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an '86 9.9 Evinrude on a heavy 14 ft. jon boat and it goes 10 mph. On smaller lakes that isn't too bad, but it would be tough on larger lakes or a river. If you only fish smaller lakes, it wouldn't be bad, but I'd reconsider if I fished large waters. My lake has a 10 hp max. limit, and that's another consideration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast